Chapter 2

RM

The entire family had gathered by the dining table, waiting for Arnav to start their breakfast. He was always the last one to come downstairs, waiting for the coast to clear, aka for Nani to finish her morning aarti.

"Good morning Nani." Arnav touched her feet and took his seat beside Aakash.

"Chotte, I am well aware that you don't believe in all these rituals, but do come down once in a while for aarti. It's nice to have the whole family together early in the morning." Nani said.

"Well, we're all together here now, aren't we?" Arnav retorted, grabbing a piece of toast.

"Bhaiya, Paratha?"

"Thank you HP." Aman smiled at the backbone of their family, Hari Prakash as he folded the newspaper and set it aside. "Anjali, how many designers have applied to come today?"

"Too many to count. It's going to be a long day." Anjali sighed. "I still don't understand why we can't ask our junior designers to filter them out. Why do you personally want to see every single design, Chotte?"

"Scouting, Di. AR needs a fresh outlook. Plus it would be good for the small businesses to grow. I plan on selecting the top fifty and making them AR's subsidiary companies."

"But why all by yourself, Bhai? I mean I know Di, Jijaji and I are also going to go through them but...."

"I don't trust our junior designers. Off late I'm not happy with their designs, which is why I launched the ad. And I don't want any watering down of the designs to happen. These people don't have an eye for talent dammit. Who the hell hired them?"

"Haye Arnav bitwa, so technically all you Raizada siblings are going saree shopping, but the sarees eej coming to youwa?"

Arnav smiled at his mother figure, Manorama. When Anjali and Arnav first came to Shantivan, she welcomed them with open arms and raised them on her own. Not once did she complain about the two elder siblings or worry about her son's inheritance.

She had a sharp tongue but loved immeasurably. "Would you like to come along, Mami?"

"Hello hi bye bye, of course, pleaj. Saree shopping is a Manorama talent." Mami's taste in clothes were impeccable, learning the way of the Raizadas in her twenty-five years of marriage.

Just her taste in accessories were questionable.

"It's the bridal collection right bitwa? Hai, hum na amri bahu ke liye ek bahot hi sundar sa joda select karenge hello hi bye bye." [I will choose a gorgeous set for my future daughter-in-law]

"Arrey Mami, apne bete seh toh puch lijiye ki aapki bahu layega kab?" Aman teased, Aakash turning bright red. [Mami, why don't you ask your son, when is he bringing your daughter-in-law home?]

"Bilkul sahi kahwat hain Aman bitwa. Aakash bitwa, tumhari mother ko na ek best friend chahiye aab hi ke aabhi." [Aman, you are right! Aakash, your mothers wants a best friend ASAP]