Chapter 3

"Khushi? Jaldi se tayaar ho, kaam pe jana nahi kya?" Payal asked, waving her hand in front of a blank faced Khushi. [Khushi? Get ready, you have to get to work!]

"Four."

"What four?"

"Four ASRs jiji. In that office."

Payal sighed. Khushi had been repeating these four sentences like a broken tape recorder after her interview yesterday.

"Khushi, I'll finish your jalebis!"

"NAHI!" And shot up like a spring, searching for her beloved jalebis.

Payal placed her hands on her hip. "So this breaks you out of your trance. Now quickly have breakfast or you'll be late on your first day."

Khushi's eyes widened. "Hey Devi Maiya, if I'm late on the first day itself, four ASR's will rain down on me."

Payal chuckled under her breath and tied her dupatta across her torso and set the kadai. Her accounting job was flexible and remote letting Payal a small version of Shashi's sweet shop in Delhi.

The homemade sweet shop was set up by the two sisters as soon as they reached Delhi to help support Buaji's bills. It was mostly Payal's way to get Buaji to stop taunting Khushi, to put a halt to the constant cribing of having to take up Khushi's expenses.

They started small by making prasad for the Hanuman temple in Laxmi Nagar and praises spread in the neighbourhood. Gradually, small orders started pouring in.

My boss is coming home for dinner, can you please send 500g of halwa and 500g of jalebi?

My daughter's baby's naming ceremony is tomorrow, we'll need you to supply sweets for the celebration.

My son in law is coming and I heard he loves sweets. Please send some badam kheer and barfi.

Soon the two sisters were swarmed with orders, working flawlessly together.

The landline shrilled. "Khushi!" Payal called out, immediately grabbing her record book and pen.

Khushi rushed, grabbing the receiver. "Gupta Mithaai, aaj ham aapki ko konsi mithaai chakaye?" She said in her cheerful customer voice, walking around the house, talking to the customer like an old friend. [Gupta Sweets, which sweet can we delight with you today?]

The two sister had a system. Khushi handled the calls, cajoling the callers to buy two or three types of sweets more while Payal ran around the house behind her, noting down the list, quantity, date, time and delivery address.

"Jiji, four boxes of kaju barfi, 250 of cashew halwa and 100g of milk peda."

Payal nodded, scribbling down in her notebook. The excitement of a new order slipped from Khushi's face. "But Jiji how will you handle everything on your own? Your job, the sweets orders and the household chores?"