Chapter 7

Khushi's nose got up before her,  to the aroma of delicious aloo puri and halwa. Her nose started sniffing before her eyes opened, the smell wafting throughout the house and leading her to the kitchen.

Yawning, she opened her eyes to a sight that she gets to see only once a year. Buaji cooking.

"Uth gayi Sankadevi! Naha ke jaldi aao varne tumhare bina puja shuru kar denge." She yelled, chasing Khushi into the bathroom. [Oi Sanka Devi! Quickly get ready otherwise we will start the puja without you.]

Raksha Bandhan. 

The only day Buaji stepped foot into the kitchen, making her Shashi babua's favourites by her hand.

The only day Khushi was not sent into the kitchen every half an hour to make tea.

The whole family gathered for puja, watching as Buaji tied the rakhi around Shashi's wrist, the rakhi that she made by hand.

"Ae lo, khush kismat hain vo ladki jiska bhai ho. Hai re nandkishore, mere Shashi babua ko kisi ki nazar na lage." Buaji's smiling face soured when she laid eyes on Khushi. "Agar ye Khushi ladka hoti toh hamara bhoj bhi kaam hota, aur hamare Payalia ki raksha karne ke liye koi hota." 

[Blessed are the sisters who have a brother. May nobody cast an evil eye on my brother Shashi. If Khushi had been born a boy, then our burden would have been less and we would have someone to protect our Payal.]

Khushi's smile fell while Payal's frown deepened. Every year, it was the same ritual. Buaji would cook, tie rakhi and taunt Khushi for being born a girl. 

"Khushi ladki hokar bhi hamari raksha karti hain." Payal looped her arm with Khushi's, smiling at her. "Aur hum tumhari raksha karenge." [Khushi can be a girl and still protect me. And I will protect her.]

Hearing this, Khushi's smile returned while the adults scoffed and rolled their eyes. 

"Acha jiji, I'll leave for work now."

Cold fear gripped Payal's heart as she remembered what happened a couple of days before. She grabbed Khushi's arm.

"Jiji?"

"Dhyaan rakhna." She released her arm, remembering the car ride back home with Aakash. [Take care of yourself.]

Flashback

Aakash steered the car in silence, driving Payal home after she delivered the sweets for the satsaang.

"Um....Payal-ji?" Aakash cleared his throat, breaking the silence.

"Hmm?" Payal glanced at the younger ASR as he gripped the steering tightly. 

"I apologise for what Bhai did to Khushi-ji. I know a simple sorry doesn't erase anything but.....for what it's worth, I promise to look out for Khushi-ji in the office as much as I can."