Chapter One

Death

It was a Saturday night that I had spent drinking with my friends. It was a Saturday night that I had spent trying to forget all about my life and the stress that came along with it. It was a Saturday night that I would never forget. I had a moment of weakness. I allowed my depression to wash over me and I began to think that drinking would help me to forget all the pain this life has brought me.

I didn't want to think about how my aunt and uncle had died. I didn't want to think about how they had drowned under Wickery Bridge. I didn't want to think about how they struggled to breathe and escape. Escape. I wanted to escape the pain and I found that escape in the alcohol that surrounded me. I could barely stand on my own two feet when I left the party. I drove home, despite clearly not being in the right state of mind. I somehow managed to get home safely, parking my car beside my mother's minivan.

My stomach churned as I went to the door. Maybe it was just the alcohol, but something felt wrong. I dropped my keys several times before I got the door unlocked. I swung it open as hard as I could and clutched my head.

"Mom!" I yelled, feeling sick to my stomach. She was so going to kill me. "Mom, I'm home!" I turned the lights on to reveal my mother lying on the ground with a pool of blood around her. I let out a shriek of terror as I ran to her lifeless body. I collapsed beside her and pulled her into my lap.

"Please wake up," I begged. "Please, mommy. Don't leave me. I-I'm sorry for being a terrible daughter. I'm sorry for not protecting you from... whatever happened. I'm so sorry. Please don't die on me. I love you so much." I sobbed as she continued to lay motionless in my arms.

The police arrived and they took her dead body away from me. They had to pry her out of my hands. I was questioned and sent home. They called my dad, whom I had hardly spoken to since he and my mother split three years before. My mother was gone and everything had just begun to change.

I gasped as I rose in my bed. My heart was racing from the memory that seemed to haunt me every night. Beads of sweat poured off my head. I slowly calmed down before swinging my legs off of the bed and walking over to my dresser. I grabbed a change of clothes and headed towards the shower. I stayed in there until I had used every bit of the hot water. My skin was steaming and I felt relaxed as I changed into the new outfit.

My phone buzzed from my nightstand. I let out a sigh before walking over to see who it was. I smiled once I saw the familiar name flashing across the screen.

"Ah, Damon Salvatore," I answered. "To what do I owe this pleasure of speaking to you?" Sarcasm dripped from my voice. Damon and I were like best friends when I lived in Mystic Falls. Everything became too much for me to handle when I found out about vampires and witches, so I moved back to New York with some old friends of mine.

"The pleasure is all mine, Morgan," Damon played along. "I was just calling to make sure that you were okay. I haven't heard from you in a while. Is everything alright?"

"Aw," I smirked. "Is Damon Salvatore worried about little old me? I didn't think you were capable of compassion."

I walked around my bedroom, tidying it up as I went. I threw my pillows off my bed and began to straighten it up. After the bed was made, I collapsed back onto it.

"This is why I don't ever call you," he pointed out. "You always make me feel like I'm some emotionless monster."

"Isn't that what you want people to think? I mean, you don't ever give anyone any reason to think differently," I responded.

"Okay, well I guess you're right," he sighed. "I should probably get back to being the heartless demon you think that I am then."

"No," I whined. "I'm sorry. I miss you. Don't you dare am hang up on me!" The line went dead and I groaned as I locked my phone back up. A knock sounded from the door, causing me to snap back into reality.

Who the heck is knocking on my door at nine in the morning? Such an unholy hour. I slid my hair back into a ponytail before going to answer the idiot interrupting my peaceful Sunday. The person continued to knock and I grew frustrated with them.

"I'm coming! Can you not wait a fu-" I stopped mid-sentence as I opened the door. I screamed as I jumped into Damon's arms, surprised by his presence. I hadn't seen him in a year. "Oh my God, I can't believe that you're here!"

"I knew you missed me," he said cockily. His arms were wrapped around me tightly as I clung to his chest. I had missed him so much. "But I can barely breathe, so I'm gonna have to ask you to let go."

I undid my arms from his neck and beamed up at him. I was so excited to finally see him after so long. I couldn't wait to see everyone again actually. I longed for the day that I returned to Mystic Falls for the big reunion.

I could see it now. I would arrive at the Salvatore Boarding house without telling anyone. I would slip inside, knowing that they would hear me. I would hide behind a curtain or something and pop out at them when they came looking for me. It was the perfect plan. Well, maybe you shouldn't jump out at a vampire, but I have time to think of something. I invited Damon inside and he closed the door behind him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. "Not that I'm not glad to see you. I just don't think you would come all the way to New York for a surprise visit."

"You're right," he frowned, slipping his hands into his back pockets. "I wish there was an easy way for me to tell you this."

His eyes closed and I could tell that he didn't want to tell me whatever he was about to say. I get the panic beginning to grow in my stomach. Something bad had happened. I just know it.

"What is it?" I demanded, fear crawling inside of me. My heart raced as I waited for his answer. Just tell me.

"Your dad is dead," he broke the silence. My heart stopped as I slowly fell to the ground. The world seemed to stop.

My father and I were never very close when I was growing up. My parents split up when I was fifteen. I chose to stay with my mother because I never really saw my dad. He was always at work or on business trips. I never even understood why my mother stayed married to him as long as she did. When my mother passed, I was already eighteen. I still lived with her, though. My dad took me in and provided me a place to stay.

We never got along so I moved to New York with a few of my friends. Now I had my own apartment and remained independent. My dad would call me about once a month to check up on me, but that was it. That was the extent of our relationship. Nevertheless, it still hurt. Both of my parents were dead. I was alone.

"I'm coming home," I announced.

"The hell you are," Damon refused. "It isn't safe in Mystic Falls, Morgan. There's a psychotic hybrid on the loose declaring war on the town. I'd be insane to let you go back."

"I don't care, Damon," I frowned, tears welling in my eyes. "My dad is dead and I'm gonna attend that funeral. I'm going to grieve with my family. I'm not dealing with this alone."

A/N:

Okay, so I'm new at this whole fanfic thing. I hope that you guys enjoyed the first chapter. It is, of course, a Klaus fanfiction, but I won't judge if you ship her with Damon because they are pretty close in this book. Please comment and lemme know what you think. My favorite part of reading books on here is reading the funny comments along the side, so please leave some for me.

Oh and obviously, I don't own Vampire Diaries or any of the characters. I just want to make it known that I'm not going to follow the exact storyline, seeing as it's my book. I'm probs gonna leave Elena with Stefan, despite the fact that I am for Delena. I just think that Damon deserves better (so does Stefan) and I don't wanna write the transition from Stefan to Damon. Oh, and to clear up some things, they waited until the end of the summer to announce John's death that way Stefan had returned with Klaus.

And I guess that's it so please comment and vote!