Chapter Twenty-Two

Realization

When I woke up, my head was pounding. I groggily forced my eyes open and held back a scream. Why did hangovers have to be so painful? That's it. I'm never drinking again. I closed my eyes again and slung my hand onto the night stand beside me, feeling for an aspirin. That's when I remembered that I wasn't at home. I was in a hotel... with Klaus.

My eyes shot open, and I quickly looked down. I was naked. Oh God, I'm naked. I slowly brought my eyes to Klaus' sleeping figure. He wasn't wearing a shirt, and I wasn't about to check if he had on pants. I had slept with Klaus. I slept with him. Oh my God. I stopped my panic attack as I watch his lips slowly turn up into a small smile before turning onto his side. It was possibly the cutest thing. Did I just call him cute? Oh God.

They say that when you're drunk, you do things you don't have the courage to do when you're sober. Do I have a thing for Klaus? Have I been using this whole memory thing to distract myself from the truth? I mean, why would I really care about getting memories back that didn't really matter anymore? Because he was in them. I wanted to feel that again. I wanted an excuse to care for Klaus. Those memories were the key.

I woke up to the feeling of someone running their fingers through my messy bed head. I grinned and opened my eyes to find the culprit staring down at me.

"Good Morning sweetheart," his British accent whispered down to me. Oh, that morning voice was so sexy.

"Good morning," I said, closing my eyes and snuggling deeper into his chest. "Last night was fun."

"Best night ever," he agreed. "I love you so much, Morgan."

"I love you so much more."

"I highly doubt that," he frowned.

"Prove it then," I smirked, digging my hands into his chest. He grinned before rolling on top of me.

I stared down at him before trying my best to get out of bed quietly. Klaus didn't so much as stir, and I was grateful for that. I hurriedly slipped on some clothes before going to the bathroom and washing up a bit. When I got out, he was still asleep. He was all tuckered out. Last night must have been pretty crazy.

Stop thinking about it.

I snuck out of the hotel room and made my way down to the streets of San Fransisco. It was already noon, so the streets were packed. We really had partied all night I guess. I walked back to the store we had just visited the day before, and was greeted by Daisy.

"Well, look who came back," she grinned. "Where's the big bad wolf?"

"He's probably out chasing some pigs," I joked. Daisy burst into laughter. "Anyways, I came to talk to you about something."

"What is it, darling?"

"Well, I just wanted to know the story of you and Klaus," I answered, leaning onto the counter. "What happened?"

"Oh honey, that's a long story," she sighed. "but I reckon I can give you the basics of the whole thing. You see, I was a waitress in Detroit about twelve years ago. This man came wandering in the restaurant. I could sense something bad about him. He was a vampire. I always did have a thing for the bad boys, and calling Klaus a 'bad boy' was an understatement. We spent the summer together, and when I began to fall, he ended things. Said he could never be with a human. I'm a witch, who loves her powers, and he couldn't take that away from me. He wouldn't make me into a monster, he said."

"Wow," I breathed. "He wouldn't turn you despite the fact that he loved you?"

"He never said he loved me, but I think he did care for me," she corrected me. "Klaus isn't one to get emotional easily. So for him to be as crazy about you as he is, well you shouldn't take that for granted. I felt it when you walked in. I felt how much he truly cares about you. I could see it by the way he looks at you. He loves you, Morgan. That's why he won't ever be with you. You deserve better."

"Better?" I asked incredulously. "What if there isn't any better? Klaus has stood by my side since day one. He'd protect me from anything even if it meant risking his own life."

"Yes, Hun," she nodded. "But he would never take away your humanity. He won't turn you into a monster."

"He isn't a monster. I wouldn't be a monster. I could control it. I wouldn't flip my humanity switch. We could help each other."

"I'm sorry, baby, but if I know Klaus, then he won't be willing to listen. Once he has his mind set, he won't let you change it. You're just gonna have to move on."

"No," I refused. "I'll prove you wrong."

I stormed out of the store with determination. I couldn't let Klaus slip away from me again. I wouldn't. There was a time that he had loved me, and I'm certain that he still does. Maybe I could love him. Maybe there was a part of me that already did. Either way, I was going to try my hardest to fix things. Last night was my eye opener. I really do like Klaus, and I won't let him push me away again.

I want to be happy. Being with Klaus was possibly the best thing that had ever happened to me. I could feel the joy that I once had from my memories as I relived them. I wanted that back. I wanted him back. It was time for me to realize that my chance of happiness was right in front of me. I had to take it.