Chapter Fifteen

Road Trip

"Are you sure we can't just bring Stefan and Damon for backup?" Caroline asked, glancing out the window. "I mean, they're gonna be pissed when they find out."

"Yes, I'm sure," I groaned. "We're an hour into this. I'm afraid it's a little too late to invite them to the party."

"Besides, you've got a hybrid on your side," Tyler grinned. "You won't be needing anyone else to save you."

"I dunno," Bonnie said, disagreeing with him. "Klaus seemed like he didn't want to mess with this guy. There has got to be a good reason why."

"Well, it doesn't matter," I shrugged. "Klaus doesn't have to mess with this guy because we're going to. My only concern is that he refuses to help me."

"What if he does?" Tyler questioned. "This dude killed your mom. I don't think he'll care enough to help you straighten out your life."

"Tyler!" Caroline glared at him. "It isn't going to hurt to try. We'll figure everything out along the way. Just don't worry about it, Morgan."

"It seems like that's all I can do," I muttered as I turned up the radio. We had a long drive ahead of us.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It's a long drive from Virginia to New York. We had to take a few pit-stops, of course. It seemed that Tyler had to pee every fifteen minutes and Bonnie and I got hungry rather quickly. We stopped three times for food and then took turns sleeping, allowing us to swap out driving. I drove the first two hours and then swapped seats with Bonnie. I stayed awake with her as Caroline and Tyler cuddled in the back.

I kept the cold air blowing on my face to keep me awake. I was anxious, so that also helped to ignore the exhaustion. Bonnie finished her two hours and then Care and Tyler got up front. I closed my eyes and quickly drifted off.

"I can't believe you actually have a date," my friend, Maria, gushed. "I mean, I have known you for three years and I have never even seen you talk to a guy. He's older, too. That's freaking hot, Morgan!"

"Oh shush," I laughed. "You can't tell anyone that I'm seeing an older guy. He'll get thrown in jail or something!"

"How old is he anyway?" She asked curiously as she took a bite of the cherry in her milkshake.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Probably like twenty-six or so..."

"Oh my God that is so hot!" She squealed. "You're gonna be having all this hot se-"

"Don't even go there. Please," I interrupted her. "My mom already gave me 'the talk' last night when I told her. I don't want to hear it from you as well."

"Okay," she lifted her hands in surrender. "But the first night it goes down, I better be the first person to know!"

"You're disgusting!" I scrunched my nose and threw a cherry at her. She just laughed in response.

I woke up to find Caroline was now driving. I leaned forward to look at the GPS. We had a little over an hour left to go until we reached New York City. I laughed as I noticed that Tyler had fallen asleep in the passenger seat.

"Are you excited to go back?" Caroline asked, noticing I was awake. I was going to be more excited to get out of this car.

"Kind of," I admitted. "But then again, I haven't been there since I found out about John."

"I'm sorry we hid it from you," Caroline apologized. "Elena just needed Stefan to be there for her and we had to focus on getting him back from Klaus."

"You hate him so much," I stated. "But if I when I get my memories back - if I get my memories back, there's a chance that I'm gonna be in love with him. What happens then? You'll never support that."

"Of course I would," she disagreed. "I love you, Morgan. I'm going to support any decision that you make. I'm not going to abandon you just because of some guy. We're friends for life."

"Eternity," I smiled. "I'm sorry for asking, but have you ever actually thought about how you'll spend eternity? Matt, Elena, Jeremy, Bonnie, and I are going to die one day. What happens then?"

"I don't like to think about it," Caroline sighed. "But, I will cry - allot. And I'll mourn for a long time. I'll reminisce all of our memories. Then I'll move on. That's the way life goes. I'll always miss you guys, though."

"What about Elena?" I asked. "A human dating a vampire? It's destined to fail. She'll grow up and Stefan won't."

"I don't think she realizes that," Caroline admitted. "She lives more in the moment. She's happy. She needs to stay that way for as long as possible."

"Yeah," I nodded, leaning back into my seat.

"What about you?" She broke the silence. "What if you find yourself in love with Klaus? What happens then?"

"Nothing I guess," I shook my head. "He's a vampire. I'm not. We wouldn't have lasted. Surely I had understood that before."

"But what if you can't accept that?" She asked, pushing me to really think. "Love is unpredictable. You can't just control your feelings all of the time."

"No, but I can try."

I didn't want to think about the future right now. I was more concerned about getting back what had been taken from me. I was more than determined to make sure I did. I found a smile spreading across my face as we entered the city of New York. Caroline woke up Tyler and I woke Bonnie. They stared in amazement at the sight before them.

It was now dark outside. The city lights lit the crowded streets. Varieties of people lurked about outside of the car. Caroline was currently complaining about the horrid city traffic, and all I could do was smile.

"It's so good to be home."

My phone rang and an unknown number popped up. Bonnie looked at me curiously as I shrugged my shoulders and answered.

"Hello?" I answered, staring out the window happily. I couldn't seem to stop bouncing in my seat.

"Morgan, please tell me that you are just out getting a drink or something," The sound of Klaus's voice surprised me. "Please tell me that you aren't hunting down your vampire."

"Okay, I'm just out getting a drink," I obeyed sarcastically. I heard something slam in the background. I'm guessing he had hit something. He has such a temper.

"Do you have a death wish?" He questioned.

"You know the answer to that," I frowned, thinking back to the night on the bridge. No, I don't really want to die. It was a moment of weakness. "I'm not trying to get killed. I'm trying to get back what he took."

"Well, that's exactly the opposite of what he'll do. He'll kill you, Morgan," he argued with me. "You need to come home. I can tell you stories if that's what you want. Just come back."

"No Klaus," I refused. "I'm not going to let him win. He killed my mother. He could at least have the decency to return my memories."

"He doesn't."

"I have to try," I hung up.