Chapter Twenty-Six

Separated

I listened as Rebekah and Elijah filled me in on what was going on. I had thrown on a sweatshirt and was currently crunching on some cereal. Klaus was oddly quiet, staring down at his phone. I was curious as to what was up his butt, but remembered that it would be him that Mikael went after. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

"Shouldn't you tell Damon and Stefan?" I asked worriedly. "I mean, if Klaus dies, they'll die too. Maybe they can help somehow."

"How could they help?" Klaus finally broke out of his silence. "Mikael is invincible. He won't be frightened by a couple of brothers who seem to have a serious girl problem."

"No brother," Elijah interrupted him. "It may be a good idea. Their witch friend, Bonnie, can help us to locate the white oak stake. They may be just what we need."

"Well until we can find that stake and can guarantee Morgan's safety, we need to get away from here. Mikael is most likely hot on our trail. He'll hurt her if he finds out about her," Klaus said, glancing over at me.

"You're kidding, right?" I asked in anger. "Anytime that you think you know what's best for me, you push me away. It's really getting old. Do I get a say in this?"

"Morgan," Rebekah spoke up. "As much as it pains me to say it, Nik is right. Mikael will kill you just for spite. Our company isn't worth dying for. Besides, we'll figure this out. I'll return, and we can continue being roommates."

"You can be besties," Klaus teased.

I glared at him before turning back to Rebekah and Elijah, keeping my back facing Klaus. I didn't want to see him or think about him. Elijah and Rebekah seemed amused by our love/hate relationship. There was no accomplishing things around this group.

"So you're just going to leave me alone?" I questioned unsurely. "Because that sounds safe." Sarcasm dripped off of my tongue.

"You can stay with your friend, Maria is it?" Rebekah suggested.

"I can't just invite myself into Maria's home, and I'm sure she wouldn't want to stay with me when she has her own place," I frowned.

The door of our apartment swung open, and in walked the cheery brunette herself. A smile formed on her face as we locked eyes. She glanced around at the originals nervously before approaching me. I quickly stood and pulled her into a hug. I hadn't seen her in about a month. We've both been so busy with school and she had work. And I totally missed my job interview today. Damn it. I forgot all about it.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her excitedly. "I haven't seen you in weeks, and then you just show up at my door?"

"My witchy senses were tingling," she giggled. "Rebekah found me. She asked me to come chill with you until they could straighten some things out. So here I am."

"Really?" I turned to the blonde. "I don't even get a say in any of this?"

"Sorry, love, but you're safety isn't negotiable. It's not up for debate," Klaus cut in. "It's only temporary. Once we get rid of Mikael, Rebekah will return, and you can continue your odd friendship."

"You're just jealous that I get to live with Morgan," Rebekah smirked at her brother. He responded with a harsh glare. Maria laughed at the two, finding them amusing. I still wasn't comfortable when they talked about Klaus and I. Mainly because I still don't remember it.

"I'm guessing you're the famous Klaus," Maria interrupted the two. "I've heard so much about you. Morgan never shut up about you." She cut her eyes towards me, teasingly.

"All of which I don't remember ever telling you, so it doesn't count. Don't talk about my past with asshat over there."

"Ouch," Klaus feigned hurt. "You've damaged my ego. Morgan dislikes me. What ever shall I do?"

"That's enough," Elijah scolded. "We have more important things to focus on. We need to worry about Mikael and that stake."

"Could you do a locator spell?" Rebekah asked, turning to my friend. She bit her lip. I could see in her eyes that she doesn't really practice, meaning she doesn't know how.

"Just get Bonnie to do it," I said, taking the attention off of my friends. "You said you were going to leave anyways. Just go to Mystic Falls, and then she can do the spell."

"Alright," she nodded. "But it's a bit predictable that we would go there."

"You said you wanted him to follow you anyways," I rolled my eyes. "And as long as he doesn't have the stake, you aren't in any physical trouble."

•••

"Oh my gosh," I gasped. My head slowly fell off of the couch. I was currently hanging upside down in boredom. Maria grabbed my legs, sending them flying forward. I flipped over and onto the floor with a crash. "Ow."

"I'm sorry, but if you said you were bored one more time, then I was going to kill you," she said. I glared at her and stood to my feet.

"We're really forced to stay here while they're out there in all of the action," I sighed. "Why can't we do something?"

"Because it's too dangerous," she answered. "You know, they aren't going to be able to use a locator spell to find the stake?"

"I know, and I'm not so sure that they can take on Mikael, even if they did have the stake."

"We just have to trust that they could."

"Or we could come up with our own plan."