Chapter Twenty-Three

Discussion

"Where have you been?"

The question was immediately asked as I reentered the hotel room. Klaus seemed on edge ever since the whole Brock situation. He was now fully awake and looked concerned. He was dressed now, but I could tell he had just woken up due to his obvious bed head. His eyebrows knitted together as he awaited my answer. I couldn't tell him the truth. He wouldn't understand why I had talked to Daisy, and I wasn't yet ready to approach him about my feelings.

"I went out for some breakfast," I said smoothly, walking around him to pack my things. It wasn't necessarily a lie. I had gotten a pop tart from the lobby when I got back.

"Oh alright," he nodded his head convinced. "Just give me a heads up next time, would yah? It's a rather bad time for you to be out by yourself when there's a vampire lurking about, meddling with your brain."

"Will do," I rolled my eyes and picked up my clothes from the night before. I could feel Klaus' eyes on me as I tossed them into my bag. I couldn't help but wonder if we were going to discuss what happened last night. Were we just going to pretend that it never happened? I don't think I could. I could actually remember quite a bit of it, but I won't get into those details.

As I had gotten everything completely packed, I turned to face the hybrid. He was still staring at me with the same expression, but it was unreadable. I couldn't even guess what he was thinking or feeling. Did he regret it? I didn't.

"What's that look?" I questioned. "You're staring at me with the most confusing look I have ever seen. I can't tell if it's a good look or a bad one, or if you're just zoned out."

He didn't answer. He just turned his back to me and began packing his own things. I let out a groan, and I walked to the window. I peeked out of the curtain and watched the busy city under me. It reminded me of New York. I hadn't realized how much I loved the city life until I had left it for so long. I missed living in New York, but I had my friends back in Mystic Falls, and I had already left them once.

"The city really is beautiful," Klaus said, startling me. "You used to talk about how much you loved the glow of the city at night. It reminded you that you weren't alone."

"The city has always been my place of escape. There were crowds of people going about their everyday lives, and it just seemed real. I can't explain it, but it made my life worth living."

"Why not go back?"

"Because," I sighed. "I have so much in Mystic Falls. I can't leave it behind." I stared deep into his eyes. "I can't let go of the people I love."

"Morgan," he avoided my eyes. "Last night - It shouldn't have happened. I know that I want to be with you, but you're not the same person. You've grown up. You've changed. You're more mature and independent. You don't need me to stand in your way any longer. Your friends will understand if you leave."

"No, they won't," I disagreed. "And I'm not sure I understand either. Klaus, I'm the same person. I'm still the girl who loves to watch the city come to life at night. I'm still the Disney obsessed girl. I haven't changed. I never will. I'm right here. I fell for you once, and I'm falling all over again. I can't lose you again. I need you in my life."

"Can't you see?" He raised his tone. Tears welled in his eyes. "You won't ever be safe with me. I can do my best to protect you, but you will never truly be safe. You wanna know the real reason Brock did what he did? He was trying to punish me for killing his fiancé. He wants me to hand over a white oak stake so he can plunge it into my heart the same way I did to his wife. I'm a monster. I deserve to live my life alone and in agony. But you - you deserve so much more than I could ever give you."

"I don't want anyone else!" I yelled. "I want you! I don't remember much, but I do know that you were everything to me. Perhaps that's why I've felt so empty the past few years. I can't feel that way again. Please don't make me go through life alone."

"I won't," he promised. He stared down at the bracelet on my wrist, and I instantly knew what he was about to do.

"Don't," I ordered. "Klaus don't you dare even think about compelling me. Please don't."

"I'm sorry," he apologized, ripping it off of me. I quickly turned away from him, refusing to make eye contact. He grabbed me and forced me to look at him. "I won't make you forget me or what we had. I wouldn't tear that away from you, but you're not going to be with me. You're going to go home. You're gonna follow your heart and do what makes you happy. I'm going to finish up some business in New Orleans, but you won't come to me unless you absolutely need me. You're gonna live your life without me. Go be happy."

He released me and I fell to my knees. I held my head in my hands before hurriedly putting the bracelet back on. Tears were spilling freely as I stared angrily at him.

"I will never forgive you for this," I swore.