Chapter 27

*Time Skip*

Naruto tapped the counter softly as she waited for her husband to come home. She was anxious as she waited, having already done the test and knew the answer. While she knew Shino would never reject their baby she still had to know his reaction. She pulled on her apron and started cooking to work through the nerves. She felt calmer the more dishes she placed on the table, so much so she didn't hear the door opening signaling that her husband was finally home. Shino looked at the spread and decided not to disturb his wife as he went to the bathroom to freshen up. 

Stepping inside he saw the package on the counter for a pregnancy test. He froze, looking out the door to see Naruto humming and mixing butter and milk into her mashed potatoes. He stared at her, imagining her swelling with a baby. Would they have twins? Triplets? A boy? A sweet girl? He didn't know how to feel. He was skeptical he could be a good father especially when his only example was his own shitty father. 

He sighed quietly as he took on the new information. He would never reject that baby, it was their baby, their little life. It was the start of their family. He only wondered how they would fare as parents. He showered and got ready for the discussion that was going to be happening the minute he stepped out of the shower as Naruto must've heard him. 

Naruto had indeed heard him and she finished up the cheesecake for dessert before getting around the table, the pregnancy test already placed in a small box on Shino's side. The Aburame sat down and they stared at each other as Shino opened the box to confirm what he already knew. "Are you happy?" 

That one question realigned Shino's thoughts. He looked over at her and smiled softly. "Of course I'm happy. How could this ever be bad news?" 

Naruto played with her fingers, a blush splayed on her cheeks. "I'm just anxious for nothing then." 

Shino reached over and ruffled her head. "I just wonder what kind of parents we would be?" 

"We'll be fine, just showing our love and support will be enough," Naruto responded naively and Shino just sighed in his heart as he accepted that he would be the strict parent. A strong slient type of parent, one that supported his family and stepped in should his child ever rebel against his angelic mother. He didn't mind, it seemed to be the right path as Naruto couldn't be stern without collapsing afterward at the sight of their conflicted child facing her. 

"I guess I have to be the hardass father," He mused out loud as the blonde leaned over to kiss him. He accepted the affection and he placed a palm on her stomach, she wouldn't be showing for a month or two but he was already enraptured with the new beauty she would possess as pregnancy wore on. 

They enjoyed the full spread of dinner that night, spreading the news of their pregnancy before settling down for the night. Shino held her close, Naruto bending to his will for the night as he pressed his ear against her stomach. She played in his coarse hair, not minding how clingy he seemed to be now as she enjoyed the extra cuddles. 

"I'll work harder," Shino promised. "I have to provide for both of my gems." 

"Don't go overboard now, you have to be home every night to spend time with us," Naruto chided softly. "We need you home too, money is nothing." 

Shino smiled and promised his wife. 

A/N- Sorry for being away, this is my final year of college and I have been drowning in work and studying for finals. I'll only be fully free at the end of June but I will still try to get an update out because this is an escape when I need a break and I know some of you gems escape here too. Love you all!