Chapter 28

"What are you naming him?" The nurse asked when she checked back in on the young family. The mother had been a champion in handling the delivery but her husband made her uneasy. He was there for the delivery, a picture-perfect partner throughout the ordeal, never complaining about anything. He endured his bruised hand that his wife held in a vice grip, drying her face with a cold towel and saying quiet affirmations. He wasn't an asshole either when the baby popped out he cut the cord and rested him immediately in his wife's grasp. He knew what to do to ease his blonde's motherly concern. 

She dreaded when it was time to stitch her up, many husbands are pictures of perfection in the delivery room until it came to the time to finish it up. Asking when they can get back to the bedroom or even suggesting to tighten her up with an extra stitch. But she was flooded with relief, he only asked questions that pertained to ensuring she didn't get an infection or when they should be back for a check-up for her and the baby. All in all a perfect husband except for the fact that he was rather stoic, his face never fluctuating in emotion when it came to his wife's screams or the baby's first cry. It bordered on cold and she vaguely wondered if her patient was safe around him. 

When she asked the question he was sitting by her, feeding her grilled fish while she breast-fed. The blonde looked at her warily. "Is something wrong?" 

"Nurse," She started and something akin to displeasure rolled through her eyes. "You've been staring at my husband for quite some time, he's uncomfortable with it." 

The nurse's eyes bulged at the implication. "Please don't take it to heart, I was just marveling at how he conducted himself through your delivery. Most husbands with his demeanor are less than pleasant." 

This made the blonde brighten as she turned to him. "Hear that Shino, you're a perfect husband," She giddily squeezed his hand. "I'm not the only one who sees it." 

Shino didn't reply settling for a small nod as he pushed his darkened glasses up. 

"We're naming our baby Kawaki Aburame," Naruto announced. "Shino picked the name and it's so cute for our little boy." 

Shino seemed surprised. "I didn't think you would choose it." 

"Why wouldn't I?" Naruto tilted her head in confusion. "It's a nice name and see he's already responding to it." 

Said baby had his blue eyes open, looking around before letting out a happy gurgle. "But you liked the name Boruto." 

"Shino he's your son too, not everything we have in mind will line up once it's out and about but who am I to deny you the right to name our son? He's your firstborn, that right is yours." 

The nurse saw the first smile he wore since he came in here, it was hard with the mask in place but she could see it, the adoration he had for his wife. Such a young family always warmed her cold jaded heart. She made a note of the name and left to fill out the family registry. 

Naruto spent nearly a week in the hospital before being discharged to attend her little party to celebrate their new addition. Kawaki was a quiet child, after having cried when he first came forth in the birth he remained quiet. He would hit his rattle against anything if he was hungry and had such awareness that he avoided the dangerous areas around the house, choosing to nestle in his playpen. 

Naruto could quickly see that Shino was Kawaki's favorite and it brought so much joy to her. She could tell the silent man was taken aback by being the favorite parent but Naruto encouraged it. "I want you to be the favorite parent to at least one of our children," Naruto gushed as they played with Kawaki after dinner. "It'll be a great bonding experience." 

"But won't that be uncomfortable with you?" Shino asked quietly and Naruto became serious. 

"In all honesty no," Naruto tilted her head. "I rather like the thought of our kids having a parent they know they can trust no matter what, even if it seems like the other parent wouldn't be accepting towards certain situations. I rather have our children come to their favorite parent than wander around looking for trust in strangers who would leak poison in their ears." 

Shino could understand that from Naruto's perspective. She was an orphan, those things were common in her life. Talking to strangers, hoping they weren't trying to poison her mind against authority to steal her away. It was a depressing thought and while he could understand it from her perspective he would let their son know that both of them could be handed the same trust.