Chapter 1 - Extracurricular Activities

"Very good, Noelle." Ms Dreemur remarked. It was 3:55 in the afternoon, and it was almost the end of my after-school singing lessons. I had been put into them ever since I went into high school, but, admittedly, I enjoy them a lot. Ms Dreemur is the tutor, and she knows how to give praise and criticism correctly, which I love. Anyway, it was near the end of the day, and that meant we could wrap up this session.

"Thank you, Ms Dreemur." I replied, gathering my coat. "Do you think I'm ready for the talent show yet?"
"Of course." she smiled. "Have you signed up for it?"
"Tomorrow." I answered. "I just wanted to know if I was ready before I signed up."
The bell rang, signalling the end of the day, and I wandered out the door, waving as I left. I felt around in my pocket - yep, I definitely had my house key. I pushed open the doors and, to my surprise, I saw Susie, sat on a guitar case and with a stick of chalk in her mouth.

"Oh. Hey, Noelle." she called. This took me by surprise, and I immediately fel myself start blushing.
"Hi, S-Susie!" I stammered.
Susie beckoned at me to sit down next to her, and I found my legs walking over to her involuntarily. I placed myself on the grass next to her, and she offered one of those sticks of chalk.
"Oh, sorry, I'm not too fond of chalk." I apologised.
"Oh, it's not actual chalk, it's just candy." Susie explained, plucking another stick out of the box. "My parents are trying to stop me from eating chalk, so they get me this to control my urge. Try one, they're really good."

I shrugged and chose a candy stick out of the box. In all fairness, they did taste quite nice. As I chomped on the candy stick, my eyes were directed to the guitar case.
"I didn't know you played guitar." I mentioned.
"Oh, yeah. Played it ever since I was little. I prefer electric guitar, but this school only allows acoustic." Susie responded.
"Wow. That's so..." I was about to say 'romantic', but I saved myself in the nick of time. "...cool."

All of a sudden, I had a random burst of confidence. This could be my chance. I could finally have the opportunity to spend more time with Susie. It was now or never.
"You know, it's the school talent show in a few weeks." I stated. Susue just shrugged and responded, "So?"
"So...I was wondering...if I sing and you play the guitar...we could, I don't know, perform...together?"
Susie raised an eyebrow. I thought she would say no, but I was deceived when she smiled.
"Sure." Susie responded. "Might get me a higher reputation."

"Yes!!!" I exclaimed, jumping up in the air. I quickly composed myself and said, "Uh, I mean, that's great! Thank you so much. I think I'm gonna go now. Bye!"
I speed-walked away, hiding my face from her. Oh my god. I did it! Well, I still had a long way to go if I wanted yo make my fantasies true, but it was a start. I was planning to go straight home, but I had to go to the hospital to tell Dad all about this.