Chapter 8 - Well, This Is Awkward

I was frozen to the spot. I physically couldn't move. In this one single moment, I had become a living statue. My eyes were locked on Susie - I couldn't even blink. Curiously, Susie's reaction was completely the opposite of what I was expecting. She didn't look shocked, or disgusted, or any negative emotion. She was smiling. A small, welcoming smile. With a quiet chuckle, she stepped closer and did the last thing I expected per to do.

She hugged me.

It wasn't too tight or too loose. It was just a simple embrace. My brain short-wired for a second, but once I processed what was going on, my body started to relax, and I was able to wrap my arms around her waist. My head was placed by her chest, and I turned my ear to hear her heartbeat. A slow, sturdy rhythm that made me feel warm and safe on the inside. We stayed like this for a solid minute in almost silence, only broken by birds, the wind, and the loving pulse of Susie's heart.

"I am feeling so many conflicted feelings right now." I whispered, not moving.
"To be completely honest, I always knew you liked me. I mean, your nose starts to glow even if you look at me." Susie laughed.
Ah. Forgot about that. Curse my very shiny red nose.
"To be honest, I do find you very cute." Susie continued, running her fingers through my hair.
She thinks I'm cute?! I felt a fizz in my stomach after she said that. Ecstatic, I hugged her even tighter.

"So, does this mean we're...dating?" I asked cautiously.
"Yeah, sure. It'd be cool to date you." Susie replied.
I pulled my head away from her chest and looked up into her eyes. I don't know what my eyes looked like at that moment, but we can assume they were big and full of wonder. Susie still had the same smile from earlier, except she was also blushing as well.

"So, are we going to go to practice?" I questioned, both of us finally letting go of each other.
"Screw that, we've had a busy day!" Susie exclaimed. "Let's go to QC's. For an actual date, this time."
An actual date. Those words resonated in my head like a choir of angels. I did it. Dad's advice worked, even if the way I confessed was a bit unorthodox. Just as we were about to leave, Susie held out her hand and bowed.
"M'lady." she offered. I giggled and took her hand, even doing a small curtesy. I felt a small glow in my chest as we walked together. I'd gotten myself a girlfriend.