Chapter 5 - Physical Education

(Sorry for this book going on hiatus, I got distracted by other stuff :þ)

I am a gay disaster.

10 days until the talent show, and Susie still wasn't my girlfriend. There had been so many times where I came up with the smoothest pick-up line, or where I could have easily leaned forward and kissed her, and yet, I got held back by my stupid lack of confidence. Things aren't going well. I'm running out of time fast, and if I'm not able to confess by the time the talent show is over, I doubt I'd get another chance with her. Why must love be so hard?

I'd say Phys Ed isn't one of my strongest subjects. I mean, sure, I'm on the cross-country team, and granted, people say I'm good at everything, but I digress. My clumsiness often gets the better of me, and there have been many instances of me getting bruised, scratched, scraped, and even breaking my leg one time. It's not the most enjoyable thing, but I have gotten faster and more careful over the years.

During Phys Ed, Officer Undyne often volunteers when teaching the teenagers. It's only once a week, but I like it when she's here. She's tough but fair, and isn't a pushover (no offence to Ms Alphys). She also monitors us while getting ready, doing stuff like taking the register and making sure everybody has their kit.

"Susie, you need to have your hair tied up during Phys Ed, no exceptions." she called. In response, Susie grunted and pulled an elastic band out the pockets of her shorts.
"Um, you can use o-one of my hair bobbles if you'd like, S-Susie..." I stuttered.
"Nah, I'm good, thanks." Susie replied, tying her her hair into a loose ponytail.
I let out a quiet, exasperated sigh as I walked out the door to the field, tying my hair up along the way.

"Okay, today's the 1500-metre run." Undyne explained. "It's 5 laps around the track, I will be running alongside you to make sure you're doing it. Dreemur, your mother's already told you about your leg injury, so you're exempt from this."
Kris gave her a thumbs-up from the side of the track. The lucky devil never has to do the 1500 run thanks to his mom.

"Okay, form two rows on the track and I'll tell you when to go." Undyne ordered.
Everybody shuffled into their positions, with me on the back row on the far left. I glanced to my right, and, to my surprise, Susie was right next to me.
"Good luck, Noelle. I know you'll do great." she whispered.
I silently nodded back, a slight blush flourishing on my cheeks.
"I'll give you all a 5-second head start." Undyne shouted from behind us. "On your marks...get set..."

The shrill squeal of a whistle set us all off. I weaved past Snowy and made a clear lead. My geeky stance made me aerodynamic enough to make my running speed incredibly fast. I didn't look back, and I kept my eyes locked in front of me. After about 45 seconds, I passed Kris, and I sped up slightly. I even went past Catti, who was treating this as a relaxing walk, and carried on. I was reaching the next half of the track, when suddenly...

I tripped. I don't know what I tripped on, but I tripped. I held my hands out in front of me, and braced myself as I fell on the red gravel track. I immediately felt pain in my hands and my knee. I checked my hands first - they were a little stained by the gravel, but it was nothing to worry about. My knee, however, was a different story. It had been grazed pretty badly against the gravel, and it was bleeding a bit.

Suddenly, a crowd formed around me. Officer Undyne immediately leaned down to my level and checked my injury.
"Hm. That could get infected." she remarked. "Do you think you could still walk?"
"With great pain and difficulty, yes." I strained.
She narrowed her eyes slightly, and turned to the others, "Will anybody take Noelle to the nurse's office?"

I noticed Berdly open his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted by Susie.
"I'll take her, Officer." she said while picking my sorry body up off the ground. I stumbled my way to my feet, though they felt weak while I was being held up by Susie.
"Why did you decide to help me?" I asked, both smitten and in pain.
"...Because I did." she answered with a stoic expression.