1

"What are you doing here?" Kaveh frowned and pointed at Alhaitham. 

"Starting today, I will be your personal attendant and the butler of this estate," Alhaitham placed his hand over his chest and gave a bow. "I was chosen personally by the queen, Prince Kaveh." 

Kaveh shuddered. "Why does it feel like every time you say 'prince' you're insulting me? Did she do this just to get on my nerves?" 

"Now that introductions are over, shall I assist you with your clothes?" Alhaitham asked but started doing it anyway. He listed off the various events Kaveh was going to have to go to while skillfully helping him with his princely attire. 

"You're quite good at this. I guess that means I won't be able to fire you," Kaveh frowned. 

"If you find my services lacking," Alhaitham's hands brushed Kaveh's waist down to smooth the clothing, "talk to the queen." 

"Oh, uhm," Kaveh's face flushed with how close Alhaitham was. Why was he getting embarrassed? This man annoyed the shit out of him! 

"Prince Kaveh," Alhaitham opened the door and gestured for Kaveh to walk through. He did so and was followed from a distance by Alhaitham as they walked the hallway. 

"I thought you were going to be a knight," Kaveh glanced over his shoulder. 

"Commoners cannot be knights, Prince Kaveh." 

"What?" Kaveh turned on his heel and stopped walking. "You were granted permission!" Alhaitham's face revealed nothing. 

"Permission can be granted just as easily as it can be taken away." 

"Did something happen during training?" Kaveh grabbed Alhaitham's uniform. "Why do you never tell me important things like this?!" 

"Thank you for your concern, Prince Kaveh," Alhaitham replied. 

"Tch," Kaveh turned around, "still not going to say anything?" 

"I got into a fight." 

"You? Fighting with something other than your words? I find that hard to believe," Kaveh crossed his arms. "Was it self-defense? Did some noble use their status to their advantage?" 

"I threw the first punch." 

Kaveh's jaw dropped. "What did you get so pissed about that made you do that?" 

Alhaitham didn't answer. 

"Well, well, would you look who it is?" Alhaitham and Kaveh both turned their heads to see a knight-in-training with heavy bruises on his face. Alhaitham tensed. 

"You ruined my beautiful face and all they did was slap you on the wrist?" He clicked his tongue in disgust. "It must pay nicely to sell yourself to the pretty-boy prince." Alhaitham gritted his teeth and clenched his hand into a fist. No. He had to hold himself back. 

"You must be brave to speak about me like this to my face," Kaveh crossed his arms. "Or, are you simply ignoring my presence?" The haughty noble flinched. He didn't see Kaveh there at all. 

"We're going to be late," Alhaitham said. 

"You may be a noble," Kaveh pointed, "but don't think for one second you'll go unpunished for badmouthing royalty."