9

"What did you tell Kaeya when you ordered this outfit?" Alhaitham adjusted his collar and shifted his weight awkwardly. 

"Only that you were too modest to show skin but I wanted your chest to be on full display," Kaveh grabbed Alhaitham's chest with both of his hands. 

"This is very tight, Prince Kaveh," he complained. 

"Good thing it's only for one night then, hm?" Kaveh winked. 

"The queen is going to skin me alive when she sees us enter together," Alhaitham held out his hand for Kaveh before the ballroom door. 

"Princess Candace already explained for us so it didn't seem like a made-up story. There is no need to worry," Kaveh assured. 

"Don't forget to dance with your betrothed at least once tonight, my prince." 

"Stop being such a downer," Kaveh squeezed his hand. "Let's just enjoy the night." 

"Now presenting Prince Kaveh and Sir Alhaitham," the announcer spoke. 

"What did you do?" Alhaitham muttered under his breath. 

"Enjoy your ball as a knight, Alhaitham, and stop complaining," Kaveh whispered back. 

Alhaitham scanned the scene and recognized numerous faces he had to memorize because he knew Kaveh wasn't going to remember them all. Some people he met before in passing but had unpleasant experiences with. Others he'd never seen face to face. 

Kaveh guided him to the sidelines so he could whisper his outfit judgments to Kaeya. The part of him that had forgotten his princely origin was showing. But, then again, that may be why Alhaitham cared for him so much. He had no love for status. 

"Why are you dressed like a peacock?" Kaveh found himself asking. 

"I'm showing my feathers to woo beautiful people for a dance," Kaeya replied. 

"Are we sure it's not just one person?" Kaveh snickered, nodding in the direction of Duke Diluc. 

"A gentleman never reveals his secrets," Kaeya winked, blowing Kaveh a kiss. 

"Pardon the intrusion, but may I have this dance?" Alhaitham turned his head to find the question had been posed to him. He could hardly believe his eyes at the individual who'd asked him. 

"E-Emperor Zhongli?" Alhaitham stared down at his hand being held by Zhongli's. Only a polite smile rested on his face. He awaited the answer to his question. 

"I'd be honored," Alhaitham knew he couldn't refuse but he also couldn't ignore the fact his heart had skipped three beats. Did the man look good in brown and gold or were those colors created for him and only him?

"There is no need to be so tense," Zhongli stated once they arrived on the dance floor. "I promise I don't bite," Zhongli smiled to reveal his sharp pointed teeth, "much." 

"May I inquire why you asked me, sir?" Alhaitham steadied his words despite his closeness to the emperor. 

"I happen to enjoy beautiful gems," Zhongli replied. "Humor me," he stepped away to spin Alhaitham and then brought him in closer than before. "You're quite breathtaking." 

"Thank you?" 

"The queen shouldn't bother you now," Zhongli bowed upon the end of their dance, kissing Alhaitham's hand. "Enjoy your evening, lovely jade." 

"I don't know who that guy was but he stole your first dance," Kaveh pouted and dragged Alhaitham back out. "I demand you dance with me next." 

"He is the Emperor of Liyue, you should've paid more attention to the notecards I gave you," Alhaitham replied. 

"I don't care if he is a god!" Kaveh huffed. "I'm your date! I should've had your first dance." 

"There are a plethora of other firsts you may have, my prince," he spoke quietly by his ear. "Be satisfied in knowing I will never be married due to you." 

"That doesn't satisfy me at all," Kaveh sighed. "I would rather have you be my betrothed." Realizing what he said, Kaveh's ears turned red. 

"That's impossible, Prince Kaveh," Alhaitham replied with not a change in expression. He turned on his heel and bowed holding Kaveh's hand to signal the end of their dance. Kaveh stormed off before Alhaitham could stand up straight. 

"Looks like you managed to become a knight after all," one of the individuals that had been the cause of Alhaitham being kicked out of the knight training program stood next to him. "Oh, my mistake, you still just crawl into the prince's bed at night." Alhaitham didn't respond but was tempted to roll his eyes. 

"Oops," an orange-haired fellow lost his balance, and his drink splashed on the man's clothes. "Oh dear, my mistake," he smiled innocently before his expression darkened, "I thought I heard some bullshit from a guy that hadn't even stepped foot onto a battlefield." The grumbling wine-soaked fool hurried off to the bathroom leaving the stranger with Alhaitham. 

"Are you alright?" Alhaitham asked, offering his handkerchief. 

"No need to worry about that," his hand was waved off. This man wasn't on the list of faces. He must be someone's personal invitation. Still, it was unusual for Alhaitham to not have some inkling as to who he was. "If you'd like to thank me, fight me." 

"Pardon?" 

"My name is Childe," he held Alhaitham's hand in both of his as his eyes sparkled. "I'm looking to marry the person that can best me in battle. Would you mind a duel? It doesn't have to be today, of course, I'm free any time!" 

"Excuse him," the emperor returned and picked up Childe by the collar, as if picking up a kitten by the scruff of his neck. "He's in the wrong fic," he muttered, before the two walked off.