10

"Alhaitham," the queen took a sip of her drink as she stood next to her son's plus one. 

"Your Majesty," he replied, just as dryly (if not more). 

"I don't know what nonsense you said to convince my idiot son into bringing you here, but it must've held some weight since you also happened to convince that intelligent Princess Candace." 

Alhaitham had a bad feeling about what she would say next. 

"Prepare yourself," she placed her finished glass down on a tray as a servant walked by and picked up a fresh one. "I will remove you from my son's side before the wedding." 

"When will the wedding be?" he asked, not letting his nerves show. It wasn't uncommon for long engagements among royalty. He should have some time yet. 

"One month," she took another sip, watching Alhaitham's face carefully. "If he struggles against me letting you go, I trust you'll know what to do. Isn't that right, Alhaitham?" 

"I understand," Alhaitham closed his eyes and nodded. If Kaveh fought for him to continue his role... she wanted him to 'understand his position' and disappear without warning. 

"I'm glad we understand each other," she smiled. "I'll let you have this night," she gave a slight nod and wandered off to socialize with other guests. 

Alhaitham snuck out to the balcony and rested his arms against it, looking out at the garden. He sighed, kneeling down and pressing his forehead against the railing. 

"I knew social events weren't your thing, but I thought you might've lasted a bit longer out there," Kaveh's voice was easily recognizable to Alhaitham. He didn't budge an inch. He opened his mouth, about to explain the situation, but closed it again. Even if he ruined Kaveh's night with this information... there wasn't anything he could do about the queen's decision. 

"You may have put me in a ridiculous outfit, Prince Kaveh, but I'm still nothing more than your servant." 

"That's not true," Kaveh frowned, sitting down next to Alhaitham. 

"It is true, Prince Kaveh," Alhaitham replied. "You'd do well to remember that I am not allowed to refuse a noble's orders." 

"I'm the prince," Kaveh placed his hand over his heart, "surely there are no nobles above me!" 

Alhaitham's eyes widened, and he looked at Kaveh for the first time since he'd joined him on the balcony. The moon's lighting hit his hair in just the right way that Alhaitham could hardly tell the sun wasn't out to start with. He stood up and leaped over the edge of the balcony. Luckily, it wasn't that high up. 

"What are you doing?!" Kaveh jumped up and clutched the railing, leaning over to scold Alhaitham. 

"Jump," Alhaitham held out his arms.

"Don't you think people will notice if the prince leaves his own party for too long?" Kaveh glanced back nervously. 

"I'll catch you." 

"I'm not worried about that..." Kaveh's palms were getting sweaty just thinking about jumping. Okay, maybe he was a little worried about that. 

"They're too drunk by now to notice that you're gone," Alhaitham said. "Jump." The queen would cover even if they did notice. Alhaitham could count on her promise to let him have this night. 

Kaveh inhaled a long breath before closing his eyes and jumping. He felt his stomach drop and then the next thing he knew he was inside Alhaitham's arms. 

"I told you I would catch you," Alhaitham spoke but his face was still too close to Kaveh's. Kaveh flushed but once Alhaitham tried to set him down on the ground he refused to let him and wrapped his legs around him as if he were a koala. Instead of arguing, as he usually would, Alhaitham turned to carry him into the garden's maze. Kaveh nuzzled his face into Alhaitham's neck, enjoying the soft bob of his walking movement, until they stopped in the center gazebo. Alhaitham sat down, assuming Kaveh would leave his arms and sit down next to him, but that didn't happen. 

"Why are you spoiling me tonight, Alhaitham?" Kaveh asked, finally adjusting to look at his face. Alhaitham lifted his hand to Kaveh's head, petting his hair. 

"I'm not." 

"You obviously are," Kaveh frowned, conflicted. He enjoyed being spoiled but he also knew this was unlike Alhaitham. 

"I'm not." 

Alhaitham cupped Kaveh's face and kissed him, hoping that it might distract him from asking more questions. Or maybe it was to distract himself from the fact Kaveh was going to get married and he would have to leave. 

Kaveh got swept up in the kiss and all of his worries faded. He wrapped his arms around Alhaitham and adjusted his position on his lap, so they'd be closer. Kaveh wanted to feel his warmth. 

"I love you, Prince Kaveh," Alhaitham clutched the clothing on Kaveh's back tightly. 

"Why do you look as if you're going to cry?" Kaveh asked, wiping away the tears that had yet to exist. 

"I love you so much it hurts."