Chapter 4: 20 Questions

"Oh my god, Noa, we were so worried!" my mother says, hugging me tightly.

"Broken ribs, ma," I croak out. She lets me go, gasping.

"Broken ribs and a broken ankle? Those girls really mauled you, didn't they?" she cries.

"Kinda, yeah," I say.

"And I cannot believe those little tramps broke your wheelchair! It cost a fortune!" she says.

"I know, I'm sorry, mom. I'll help save up for a new one," I say.

"Well, you can't exactly work when you can't wheel yourself around, now can you?" she says.

"I guess not," I say, sighing.

"We'll figure it out, bug, don't worry," my father says, giving me a light hug. "I hope this place has been treating you better than the hotel."

"It's been alright. They gave me some paper so I could draw and didn't go too crazy," I say.

"You've been pretty lonely, I assume?" my mother asks.

"Not completely. Aven stopped by earlier," I say.

"Oh really? He heard what happened?" she asks.

"Yeah, he felt bad. We talked about things. I want to stay in Vegas for a week, he's paying for my hotel. He wants to get to know me," I say.

"That's great," my dad says.

"He should pay for your broken wheelchair, too. It's his fault," my mother says.

"Don't be ridiculous," my father says.

"But hon, do you really think it's a good idea to be on vacation when you've got a broken leg and broken ribs?" my mother asks.

"Doctor said that since I don't use em, they'll heal up just fine. I've got a cast, see? They said they can discharge me, but I need you to sign the paperwork, since I'm underage," I say.

"So we got all your stuff from the hotel and now you want us to take it back?" my mother says.

"Oh no, I'll be staying at a different hotel. One that's handicap friendly," I say.

"And you want us to trust that you'll actually stay there and not be living in this boy's house?" my mother asks.

"It'd be Anne's house, mom. But no, I'm not staying with him. But I can," I tease.

"I'd much prefer you stay with Anne, honestly, but I don't like the thought of you two sleeping under the same roof, so I guess the hotel is fine," she mumbles.

"Lighten up hon, she'll be okay," my father says.

"You said that the last time, and look what happened!" she exclaims. There's a knock at the door, and Aven enters.

"Is now a bad time?" he asks.

"No, of course not, come in," my mother says sweetly, her demeanor flipping entirely.

"I'm just back to see if Noa is ready to go to the hotel. I found her a fantastic one. It's only five minutes from here," he says.

I hadn't thought about it, but obviously he didn't recognize my parents, otherwise we'd be in big trouble. Thank god for forgetful child minds.

"And how do you plan on getting there?" my mother asks.

"I have a ride," I say.

"You do?" she asks.

"Handicap taxi, I get them all the time. I have a personal one just for Vegas," I say, grinning. My mother sighs.

"And what about your luggage?" she asks.