Chapter 19: A New Beginning

My treatments started the day after I got home. It's been pretty intense. Many stretches, soaks, and forms of electrotherapy. My bones have completely healed, but the therapist insists I have to get through all the preliminary exercises and tests before I can attempt to walk. But as I've regained the feeling in my feet, following the doctor's number one rule has been excruciatingly hard. Under no circumstances will I attempt to use my legs until given permission.

Me and Atticus have been texting and calling nonstop, but it's not enough to fill the emptiness that I feel in my heart. He's in Vegas following his dreams while I'm stuck doing intensive therapy. It's for good reason, but it's hard to stay motivated when you're hearing about all the amazing things people are doing without you.

School hasn't been horrible either, I guess. I've gone the entire time ignoring my old friend group as much as humanly possible, and I signed up for AP art, where I met Jamal and Reese, who have become my new best friends. I've told them all about my Vegas escapade, and they loved every second, not doubting any part of my story. There's no reason for me to lie about it, when I'm talking to Atticus every day. It's sometimes in class when I should focus on my work, but how can I focus on my work when I'm about to graduate?

I may not walk across the stage, but hell, I survived high school, and that is a good enough achievement. I've learned to cut myself some slack. I've been through a lot, and even if I'm not where I want to be, every small step I take is getting me further to my goal.

"Noa? The doctor will see you now," a nurse says, snapping me out of my thoughts. That's the only downside to therapy, is how long you have to wait your turn, even if you showed up fifteen minutes early like they ask you to. I get lost in my thoughts during these waiting periods, and it's brought on some great inspiration for my art pieces. I've mostly been doing portraits and people. It would be cool to do a graphic novel, or even be an illustrator for a kid's book. I haven't completely figured out my path yet, but there's no need to rush. College isn't going anywhere.

I wheel myself over to the nurse and follow her down the very familiar hallways to the room where I get my treatments. Dr. Giovani, the specialist writing the case study, greets me as I enter. She seems more happy than usual; I wonder why.

"Hello Noa, glad to see you. I didn't want to tell you this at our last appointment to get your hopes up, but I think that today is the day. It's time for you to use your legs," she says. My face perks up.

"Seriously? You mean it?" I ask. She nods, smiling.

"But you have to take it slow and easy, understand? Any mishaps could lead to injury, and it will reset all of our progress," she says.

"Yeah, I've learned that the hard way," I say. She laughs.

"Let's start with your usual stretches, then we'll do the electrotherapy, and then we'll work on walking," Dr. Giovani says. I go through all of my preliminary protocols patiently, although I was itching in my seat, too excited to talk the doctor's ear off, as I usually do in these appointments. After the stretches, she hooks my feet up to the machine.

"Just like usual, you let me know when you can feel it to where it's a small pinch, but not painful," she instructs. I sit, waiting for the pulses to come. It starts out as a little tickle at first, and then more of a pulse.

"Okay, stop," I say. She stops turning it up, and I sit still as the pulses course through me.

"No pain, right?" she asks.

"Yeah, it's fine," I say. She leaves me there for about five minutes, and then turns the machine off, taking the pads off my feet. I can hardly wait.

"Don't get too excited now," she says, laughing.