{Chapter 4 - Defenders of the universe}

Cori came back up to the bridge, admittedly a bit relieved. Never in her wildest dreams did she ever think that Confiding to an AI that she was an Altean would feel like a constant crushing pressure had been removed from her chest. Of course, it wasn't completely gone. Because now she felt the new stab of that secret sink in as she faced the rest of the team.

She tried to hide her grimace as she went to stand with the others, but evidently, she didn't do a very good job of hiding her inner turmoil.

Keith glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, but Allura came onto the bridge not very long later, wearing a new suit instead of her dress from earlier.

"You all were brought here for a reason. The Voltron lions are meant to be piloted by you, and you alone. We must fight, and keep fighting until we defeat Zarkon. It is our destiny. Voltron is the universe's only hope. We are the universe's only hope." Allura said determinedly.

Cori nodded, as did the others.

"We're with you, princess," Shiro affirmed.

After a little while of the princess fussing over her, Cori had been given a suit similar to the princess, since only the paladins got armor. (unfair). but instead of pink, the accents were white as she insisted. It wasn't the most fancy thing, but it was serviceable. She especially liked how she could summon a halide at will.

She and Allura walked into the armory, to see the boys all suited up in various colors of armor, corresponding with the color of their lion.

"Princess? Are you sure about this? They aren't exactly the best and brightest the universe has to offer." Coran said, slightly concerned. Cori nodded, agreeing with Coran. Most of this lot was incapable, but they would need to work. Even Lance, if they couldn't find anybody better.

"No, but they're all we've got," Allura said, with a slight sigh to her tone.

They all went to the center of the room, where a table stood, holding four odd hand-held devices.

"The bayard is the traditional weapon of the paladins of Voltron. It takes a distinct shape for each paladin." Allura informed. All four of the bayards floated over to their respective paladin, each forming different weapons. Pidge held a small blade which could extend out into a grapple, Keith held a sword, and both Hunk and Lance both held guns.

"Aw, you got a cute little bayard." Lance cooed at Pidge in a teasing manner with a smirk plastered across his face.

Pidge, however, didn't seem to appreciate the insult very much and swiftly jabbed Lance in the side with his bayard.

"Yea. it is pretty cute," Pidge said with an innocent smile.

"Well that wasn't very nice," Cori observed. "Can't say I wouldn't have done the exact same thing, though."

Pidge shrugged in response as Lance moaned on the ground.

"Shiro, I'm afraid your bayard was lost with its paladin," Allura said apologetically.

"I guess I'll just have to make due," he said, glancing at his robotic arm.

~~~

Moments later they all stood back on the deck in uniform.

"You'll need to retrieve the red lion from Sendek's ship," Allura instructed, pulling up a map of the Galra cruiser onto the ceiling.

"That's a pretty big ship. How are we gonna know where the red lion is?" Keith questioned.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to search. I'm coming with you." Cori insisted. Perhaps that weird creature she kept seeing would be of use here.

"But- you don't have a lion. You can't-" Keith said, beginning to protest. Cori immediately summoned her halide, and spun around in a motion, quickly wrapping an arm around Keith's neck and then hovering the double-sided sword over his throat just to prove a point. He glanced at the halide with a bit of surprise on his face, and gulped.