{Chapter 9 - Return to the Balmera}

Cori yawned and put a hand on her hip, as they neared the balmera. The creature was big, about as big as Earth.

How the creature survived, that was the question.

"So what's the plan?" Lance asked, interrupting her thoughts. "We go in there and just- pow, pow pow! And free the prisoners?" the blue paladin asked, making sound effects.

Cori looked at him with a concerned expression. "What was that noise supposed to be?"

"Lazer guns," Lance said smugly, folding his arms.

"No, Lance. I think you mean pehw, pehw pehw!" Hunk imitated, then moved both his arms as if charging up an ion cannon, then made a final "pehw!"

Cori facepalmed, Rubbing the bridge of her nose with an exasperated expression.

"That sounds like fireworks," Keith said, shaking his head.

"Both of you are wrong. Lazers sound like viow! Viow! Viow!" Cori imitated, spinning around and shaping her fingers into a handgun.

"No, technically they're more like "bachew! Bachew! Bachew!" pidge countered, making a handgun as well.

"Okay, team. Enough with the bad sound effects." Shiro scolded. "Besides. It's more like blam! Blam! Blam!" the black paladin said playfully, making his own finger gun.

"What?" Keith questioned, looking extremely confused.

"Your crazy." pidge concluded, adjusting her glasses.

"No way." Lance refused, arms still crossed.

"Wrong." hunk insisted.

"Insane." Cori sighed.

"Paladins! FOCUS." Allura insisted.

"Besides, we can't just shoot at the galra." hunk agreed. "This balmera- it's like- alive. And from what we've seen it doesn't look very good."

A visual was pulled up on a holo screen, showing the warmth levels of the balmera, which were slowly going down by the second.

"Yes. it's an atrocity what the galra have been doing to this grand beast. Stealing its crystals, it's very lifeforce without ever performing the energy rejuvenation ceremonies needed to heal it." Coran sighed somberly.

"After seeing Shay's people enslaved, it made me realize how bad Zarkon really is. We're the only ones that can stop him." hunk said seriously.

"Okay," Shiro sighed. "So we can't go into the tunnels guns blazing. Plan b, then. We need to figure out how to draw the galra up to the surface, and battle them out there."

"Wait, I know!" hunk exclaimed excitedly. "If we attack all this big mining stuff on the surface, the galra troops will have to come out to defend it! Then we beat them up, head down the tunnels, voltron saves the day."

"But how will we know how many are left down in the tunnels?" Keith asked, arms crossed.

"We can track the galra and balmerans using bio-thermal life indicator point technology," Allura said, a hologram of some sort of device appearing in her hands.

"Oh! Blip tech!" pidge said happily. Allura looked at her, confused.

"It's an acronym?" pidge explained.

"One of you will need to fly around the balmera and drop the sensors into the shafts on each side. Then we'll be able to see where the galra and the balmerans are. There are already sensors built into your suits." Allura said, pulling up a visual of all the tunnels within the balmera.