{Chapter 8 - Taking Flight}

Cori jolted awake once again within her altean pod drifting through space, trying her best not to fall asleep. She- she couldn't. Not- not after that.

She didn't know where she was in space, other than the fact that everything looked inconceivably strange.

Planets and other objects were being tugged in every direction, stretching off into infinity. And in the center of it all, was a dark...thing, so massive it seemed to bend light itself.

...

"After a day or so in here, they should be fully healed. You have no idea how difficult is was to get her to go back into the quiznacking pod."

"I'm not surprised. This is Cori we're talking about, after all. "

Cori jolted awake as a sudden metallic screeching noise emanated from the hull of her pod.

Thinking fast, she slipped on her stolen helmet and grabbed her blaster in a rush.

...

"I... can't tell if Lance looks healthy, or not."

"I think Cori is breathing weird."

"To be expected. Sendeck did break several of her ribs."

"Come on!" a voice groaned. Then there was a tap.

"Not yet. A few more ticks."

"How much better is she gonna get in a few more ticks?" the impatient voice said.

Would they be quiet?

Cori's eyes widened as the dark object that bent light released a wave of energy, that then washed over her. Wha-

She was standing on an island of sorts, with pink foliage scattered everywhere. The sky was incandescent, tinged pink. In the center, was what seemed to be a hole of pure blackness.

In an instant, she was back where she had been, familiar surroundings- for the most part- returned.

The memories faded away, as she was once again dumped in a black void, with a familiar white creature standing across from her.

"It is you, who is meant to be you. Look for the message. It was meant to be another but he has passed responsibility to you." the creature said, pushing a familiar-looking stone to her feet.

The void faded before she had a chance to respond.

Cori cracked an eye open to see everyone outside her and Lance's pods.

A familiar hissing sound came, and the coldness around her melted away, for the second time in two days. Was this going to become a frequent occurrence?

"What is a... second?" Allura's voice questioned, as Cori anchored herself against the pod.

"It's a unit of time, Allura," Cori answered, looking at them all annoyed. They shoved her in here, so her annoyance was justified.

"Oh. look who's finally awake." Keith said, helping her out of the pod as her legs threatened to give out.

"Well, that's not my fault. You guys were the ones who shoved me in here when I told you I could heal perfectly fine on my own." Cori bit back.

She glanced at Pidge, who was currently showing Allura a timer on one of the garrison phones.

"I'm not sure. I think ticks are bigger. Coran, do you have a ticker?" the princess questioned.