Chapter Seven

So many words and emotions were expressed in the stare Spencer and Trina were currently sharing. He looked at Jasper, who smiled slightly, before walking away.

He felt his nails penetrate his skin as his fists became tighter after each step. “Spencer!”

“Spencer, wait!” Trina pursued the male, who abandoned his destination after the scene he witnessed. “Spencer!!” She screamed out again, which caused the male to stall his movements of entering his car.

“What, Trina?” The hostility and distance took aback the female.

"You were going to see Cam—” 

“You don’t know what I was about to do.”

Once again, his coldness caught her off-guard, making her stumble back, hurt. “Spencer…”

He noticed how his attitude affected her and felt guilty.

“Why did you leave your boyfriend?” she looked at him confused, “huh?” he repeated himself, and she stood silent. “you seemed upset; I wanted to make sure you were ok—”  “I’m not okay.” He retaliated.

Silence overtook both parties as the revelation of his emotion was exposed. “You know I like you.” He began, and help held up his hand, stopping her from saying anything further. “I know, I have a girlfriend, and it’s a dick move to pursue you with her still in my orbit.” He continued.

He exhaled sharply, once again holding back words he wanted to say. “Just….Just be careful of him, please. That’s all I ask of you.” Spencer stated as he grabbed her hand, “I don’t like when you’re hurt.”

Trina's eyes got teary a bit, but she blinked them back. “Spencer, I-I’m sorry.”

“What are you sorry for?” She dropped her head, trying to find words. “you’re hurt, despite everything; I don’t like you being hurt.” Spencer scoffed. “Hurt? Just because I said I’m not okay doesn’t mean I’m hurt. I’m a Cassadine; I’m already immune to that shit.” Trina shook her head. “You don’t have to hide from me, Spencer.”

He frowned for a moment before an emotionless smile grew on his face. “Trina, go back to your mob lover-boy.” Spencer snarled before entering his car. Trina grabbed his door before he closed it, “can we talk? Please?” He shook his head. “Not now.” He responded with a stone-cold face.

She removed her grip and then watched him pull off without a second glance.
Trina walked back to Kelly’s meeting. Jasper is seated in the same place she left him moments ago. “I’m so sorry, Jasper. I had to make sure he was fine.” Jasper nodded. “No need to explain. It’s fine, babe.” She stared at him in awe. “Well, you just couldn’t wait.” He laughed and opened the door for her. “No, I couldn’t.”

“Jasper! Nice to finally meet you.” Josslyn expressed Cameron did the same and began a conversation better understand the male. Trina smiled at the interaction, but she was obviously not indulging in what the trio had going on. Her sights were at the door, hoping Spencer changed his mind and came back.

But all wishes don’t come true.

-

Night fell rather quickly; Trina sat on the park’s bench in an attempt to catch her breath from exercises with some gym pals. “So, we’re calling it a night?” one of the guys suggests, to which everyone agrees. “Trina, are you coming?” She waved them off, “I’m just going to sit here for a minute! Go ahead; I’ll text you all once I’m home!” Her friend nodded before scurrying off.

Trina found the park to be peaceful at this moment. The number of people is small; some are joggers, some are teenagers.

The peace at that moment was shattered as loud pops rang out, making everyone stop. Their first reaction is to look up towards the sky, hoping to see the bright explosions from fireworks, but that beauty never came.

Screams erupted as the pops began louder, seemingly getting closer with every sound.

She picked up her gym bag and began running towards her car. She attempted to open her door but was unsuccessful until she realized she needed her key. “Shit,” She exclaimed, dumping her gym bag contents onto the dirt.

She found it and unlocked her door to feel the handgun on her back. “Give me the keys.”

She swallowed, holding any sign of fear deep down. She did as told, passing the keys to the gunman, who entered her vehicle and sped down.

She released her emotion, heavily breathing at what had just happened. She couldn’t ponder long. She heard the sound of someone else approaching and began running. Her phone was clenched in her hands as it continuously vibrated.

It was her gym mates; they weren’t far and witnessed the situation. They were worried and freaked out. They picked her up and dropped her home to an empty house.

-

She locked the doors, deadbolt and all. Peaking through the windows to ensure she wasn’t followed in any way. She breathed out, went upstairs, and took a shower.

Trina marinated on what occurred tonight before calling her father, Taggert, and explaining everything that happened and was reassured that he would have someone look into the matter for her.

Hours passed, and the news was live coverage of the police chase and stand-off with the shooter. Loud knocks erupted at the door. It frightened her at how desperate it sounded. “Trina!” She heard Spencer’s voice on the other side.

She ran to the door, opening it slightly but still engulfed in his arms.
“Spencer.” Trina cried softly.

She heard how shaky his breath was as he attempted to catch his breath. He seemed exasperated. “why weren’t you answering your phone!” He raised his voice a bit as he pulled away from her.

“It’s-It’s dead.” She whispered. “I'm tired of everyone calling me because they recognized my car.” He shook his head and engulfed her once again. “I thought I loved you. Oh God, Trina. I thought I had lost you!”

She chuckled softly. “Dramatic..” She shook his head. “Five people died at the park, several injured. I saw your status, so I know you were there, then the news came on with that chase, and I saw your car, and my mind—it went to the worst conclusion.”

She noticed how glossy his eyes got as he spoke. “I can’t lose you.” He whispered as he placed his forehead on hers. “I’m fine.” She massaged his face. “a little startled, but not a scratch.” She made him look at her. “you can search me if you like?” She joked teasingly, making him laugh. “don’t tempt me. You know I’d do it.”

She laughed softly. “Thank you.” She whispered as her hands dragged up his arms to hold the sides of his neck. “for checking up on me.” He rubbed her arms. “You know I’d do anything for you.”

"Except breakup with Esme.” She thought to herself before pulling away.

“It’s late; you should go home.” He nodded.

“you sure you’ll be ok? Alone?” She nodded. “I’ll see you around.”

He nodded as he made his way to the door with her following. Before leaving, he turned back towards her, planting a lingering kiss on the corner of her lips.

She watched him enter his car before closing the door, locking it, and looking through the window as he drove away. Her hand touched the corner of her lips as she collapsed back to where she was seated.

Note: This story will now be available on AO3!!