Prologue 1/2 (last edited september 10)

Omg Guess what i think i got a beta reader 😆 at least I hope i did anyway they re-wrote this chapter for me and I'm so grateful so shout out to them

Notes:

In case you are wondering the reason that Darius decided to take hunter away from the coven is because of the previous golden guard. you see as we all know his mentor happens to have been the previous golden guard and I like to think he was like a big brother figure for Darius so after he died he was obviously devastated. And when belos suddenly came the palace with a baby that looked so much like the previous golden guard he obviously wanted to protect him so history wouldn't repeat itself.

It's a cool night in the Boiling Isles as a man with dark skin, wearing a dark cloak, runs through the forest. In one hand, a suitcase, and cradled in the other arm, an infant. "Shhh, you'll be safe soon, little prince," he clucks, attempting to soothe the child's cries.

The man comes to a stop on the outskirts of the woods, near a house. He pulls out a strange key and sets down the suitcase. He taps the key on the eye, and in an instant, the suitcase unfolds into a door.

He walks through, and on the other side is the interior of a long abandoned house. He walks across the creaking floor towards the front door, heart hammering as he reaches for the doorknob.

(He shouldn't be doing this, he thinks for the thousandth time, but one glance at the baby shuts up any lingering regrets.)

He exits the house, and not too far away, he sees another house, this one not so abandoned- lights glow softly in the windows, and he can hear faint voices, chattering, humming, (happy). He practically rushes towards the building, the now-sleeping infant still in his arms. He quietly peers through one of the windows and sees what looks to be a couple unpacking some boxes. They probably just moved in, he guesses.

(He can't help but watch as the woman hangs up a photo of the two of them, stealing a kiss from her partner as he puts a lamp on the table next to her.)

He turns his head towards the infant and then back at the couple, smiling ever so slightly. "I think they will work just fine," he whispers, quashing the pang of longing in his chest.
He moves towards the doorstep and sets the infant down (cursing himself for not having the foresight to bring a cushion). He reaches into his pocket, pulling out a small note and tucking it into the baby's blanket.

He reaches out to press the doorbell, but just before he does, he looks down at the child one last time. He blinks back the tears that sting his eyes, and whispers, "May you live carefree, little prince." He rings it and quickly runs back to the abandoned house.

(He stops just in front of the portal for a moment, staring out at the strange world behind him. Green grass, trees in shades of orange and yellow and red, wind softly weaving its way through the woods and streets.)

With a frustrated sigh, he ducks back through the portal- it slams, folds itself back up, and pops out of existence, leaving nothing behind but a few footprints in the dust.

————————————————————————

Camila couldn't be happier. After all this time, all the hardships and heartaches, she and Manny were finally able to buy their own home. And as they unpack the last few boxes, she can already tell that this could easily be their forever home. Gravesfield was cozy and welcoming, and after living so long in the Bay Area, they both appreciated the peace and quiet.

The doorbell rings, startling her. Manny nearly fumbles the box in his hands, and flustered, says, "Can you get that, amor?"

"Por supuesto," she responds, making her way to the front door. "Who could be at our door at this time? Maybe another neighbor," Camila wonders aloud, reaching for the doorknob.

The door creaks open, and she looks around, met only with the soft chirping of crickets and the rustling of leaves. "Huh, must've been some kids or something," she remarks, only for a piercing cry to reach her ears. She looks down towards the source of the sound, and her breath catches in her throat.

Down on the ground is a small, crying child, at most only a few months old, wrapped in a soft, light yellow blanket. She immediately picks the child up and cradles them in her arms. "Manny, come quick," she squeaks, panic bubbling up in her chest.

She hears Manny set his box down on the floor, footsteps getting louder as he approaches. "Camila, what's...!?"

His voice cuts out as he sees the child in her arms. "Whose baby is that?" he gasps.
"I-I don't know, they were just... lying on the porch!" Camila says helplessly, waving an arm for emphasis.

"Who would possibly leave a child on a stranger's porch?" Manny frets, starting to pace back and forth.

Camila takes a few breaths to calm herself, and as she does, the child's cries quiet down. As she stares down at them, she notices something poking out from the blanket- a slip of paper. She takes it gently and unfolds it, revealing a note penned in an elegant hand. "There's a note," she remarks softly, and takes a breath to read it aloud.

"To the savior(s): I'm sorry to put this responsibility on you without warning, but I'm afraid that I have no choice. This innocent boy would've undoubtedly died, had I not intervened. His previous living conditions were hostile and unloving, and I couldn't bear to watch him there any longer. I hope that you can take care of him and give him a good life- or, at the very least, make sure someone else can. His name is Hunter."

The couple shares a brief look, before Manny breaks eye contact, putting one hand to his head. "Ay, Dios mío... What do we do?"

"I-I don't know," she says, her voice trembling with uncertainty. "I mean, I expected to have kids at- at some point, but..."

Just then, Hunter yawns and opens his eyes. Camila looks down at him and sees the most precious and unique magenta eyes, and her heart immediately starts to melt against her better judgment. "Manny, am I so crazy to think that we should keep him?"

"Really!?" he blurts out, covering his mouth at Camila's unamused expression. "I mean, mi amor, I don't know if we are ready for such a huge responsibility, especially out of the blue," he says, slightly surprised and evidently overwhelmed.

Camila sighs, "Manny, we've been together for over ten years now. I think we can handle this, together, yeah? And I don't think I can give up such a precious face. Who knows where he will end up if we don't help?"

Manny searches her face for a hint, anything, before ultimately sighing and rubbing the back of his neck with a sheepish smile. "Well, if you're so sure, then... I guess it's time to do some last-minute shopping."

and they were siblings!जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें