2.Professor Tong

The sound of a lift approaching resonated down the corridor.  It was completely buried under the noise of coffee machines and Yu Lian, along with his chair, flew through the air due to a certain kick. Luo Qiang did not notice anything until the sound of steady footsteps closed in, at which he refocused his attention on the handsome, middle-aged man in front of him.

Luo Qiang narrowed his eyes unnoticeably, straightened his back, tightened his waist, and lightly inclined his body backward. It was a completely subconscious, defensive posture.

Assistant Yu quickly stood up to introduce the two of them. “Boss, this is Tong Jun or Professor Tong; Professor Tong, this is our Director Luo.”

Tong Jun uttered a slight “En.” his gaze falling upon Luo Qiang.

Tong Jun is in his fifties, but his entire physique displayed an unusual, serious rigorousness. It was an aggression well beyond what Luo Qiang expected from a scholar.

Luo Qiang instinctively categorized him as unyielding. He expressionlessly got up and extended his hand. “Hello Professor Tong, I'm Luo Qiang. I've heard a lot about you.”

Tong Jun was very tall Alpha; he was at least 1.9m. The 1.8m tall Luo Qiang seemed noticeably shorter when standing in front of him. As Luo Qiang sized him up, he had already made a few basic judgments about the Professor's character.

Tong Jun restrainedly shook Luo Qiang's hand, then said mildly, “I cannot live up to your expectations. Mr. Luo, please sit. Would you like to drink something?”

“My treat,” Luo Qiang responded.
“What does Professor Tong want? I'll have my assistant order for us.”

“No need.” Tong Jun directly refused him. “We have a faculty discount.”

For some reason, Luo Qiang felt like choked. He put on a fake smile and added, “Then I'll have to thank you, Professor Tong.”

Perhaps it was his misunderstanding, but Luo Qiang had the impression that Professor Tong's approach towards him was cold and judgmental. He couldn't remember ever offending him, and could only attribute his hostility to the fact that this was their first meeting. They hadn't had time to get to know each other.

Even though this was their first encounter, he was aware of Tong Jun for a long time. A top Genetics Researcher, he earned a Bachelor of Science in Microbiology from Tian University, a Ph.D. in Biology from European College, and three-years of Post-doctoral study with famous Biologists. He had returned to China 10 years before, to educate students and conduct research at his alma mater. He is one of the University's Directors.

Due to his credentials, he was first able to get a Professorship; nevertheless, Tian University had been agitated too much in Tong Jun's youth to reach where it is now. As a result, he was the current Main Professor of Tian University's Microbiology Department.

The counter-lady was quick on her feet; she made three cups of coffee and delivered them to their table within 10 minutes.

It was simply lousy coffee offered to kids; one can only imagine how it tasted. Luo Qiang took a latte and thanked her politely, but merely placed the cup to his lips before putting it back down.

Tong Jun took a drink without seeming to mind the flavor. “I'm sorry, but I have a meeting this afternoon and my time is limited. So, Mr. Luo, let's make it short.”

In general, talking to technical workers about business was something Luo Qiang avoided, preferring to leave it to lower-level departments. However, the last meeting had not gone well, and even Luo Feng did not think highly of Professor Tong. Luo Qiang had been watching this sector for a while and believed that the future potential was too good to pass up, so he decided to give it another shot.