6.Rong Tao

Beep.Beep.

The alarm went off at 6:30 AM, and Rong Tao knew it was too early to be awake and operational. He didn’t bother opening his eyes as he patted his hand around the table to silence the alarm.

Arf.

He ignored it and remained under the warm and cozy duvet.

Arf. Arff. Arfff. Arfff.

Their volume increased as it became clear that he was not going to wake up soon. They jumped on the person on the bed when they realized they were being neglected, making Rong Tao groan. Upon waking their owner, they woofed and yelped, wetting his face with their moist tongue.

“Owf! A-alright! Alright!  I’m awake.” Rong Tao chuckled and pushed their dripping nozzles away, he kissed Aldo’s hairy forehead and scratched beneath Ace’s snout. They were always there for him, loyal and loving companions who never failed to brighten up his day. A part of him wanted to call out for a day off and stay inside his small but warm home with his babies, curled up under weighted blankets in bed just watching movies and being lazy but the people in the shop need his assistance and Lin Yue would call it being a chicken-shit and tell him to put his big-boy pants on.

He took a deep breath and got out of bed, ready to start his day. He stretched his muscles, feeling the soreness from yesterday’s long hours of work. He knew that there was a lot to do today, but he was excited. Despite the exhaustion that came with running a bakery, he felt a sense of fulfilment every time he saw a happy customer leave his bakery with a smile on their face.

He has always had a passion for baking, and now that he has his bakery, he is living his dream.
He quickly brushed his teeth and took a bath. Feeling refreshed and ready to face the remainder of the day, he quickly changed into a clean white shirt and comfortable pants. He glanced at himself in the mirror and noticed his slightly tousled hair. Using his hands as a makeshift comb, he smoothed it down as best he could, giving himself a more presentable appearance.

Next, he reached for his contact lens case and carefully placed the lens on his left eye. With the lens in place, he blinked a few times to ensure it settled comfortably. And stuck a new patch on his gland. Taking one last look in the mirror, he nodded with a grin, approvingly at his reflection.

He doesn’t have much appetite in the morning so he made Ace and Aldo’s food as he mentally ran over his to-do list for the day, which included restocking the shelves, making fresh batches of bread and pastries, serving customers, and overseeing his staff of bakers.

He took his phone and wallet in a shoulder bag, getting his keys as he reached the front door, he paused for a moment and turned to address his babies, Ace and Aldo. They were eagerly following him, their eyes sparkling and their tails wagging with excitement. He smiled affectionately at them, petting them once more.

“Boys,” he said with a warm tone getting their attention, “Daddy will be home early today, so let’s make Palermo-style Steak for dinner. It’s going to be a special treat.”

Arf!

Arf! Arf!

Getting the affirmation from both of them, he patted them on their heads before locking the front door. Navigating the noisy and rattling stairs, he made his way down to the parking lot, where his old motorbike was parked. Its weathered appearance told the story of many journeys taken and adventures embarked upon.

With familiarity, he hopped onto the bike, feeling the vibrations of the engine beneath him. Turning the key, he ignited the engine, its familiar roar filling the air. The bike eagerly responded, ready to carry him through the empty streets.