3.Trip down the memory lane

After the failed meeting with Professor Tong, they drove the car on the highway but didn't know where to go. Driver Wang, Wang Lin, and Yu Lian exchanged glances. Through the rearview mirror, they could see their boss silently looking at the buildings that were passing by with an icy, expressionless face.

Taking a deep breath, assistant Yu asked the boss in a low voice, "Boss, would you like to go back to the company or home?"

Luo Qiang was quiet for a movement as he said, "No, go to PingJing Park."

Driver Wang steered the vehicle in the direction of another lane, as Assistant Yu nodded slightly.

The evening sun cast long shadows on the ground. Down in the park, the sky had a combination of orange, red, and pink hues. It was like the park was going to be engulfed by the colorful sky. There were myriads of bright-colored flowers and plants were embracing the trees. The eye-catching butterflies and bees were dancing here and there, collecting their food from the cluster of flowers.

Even though it was inside the city, as the nearby children's school closed, it became less inhabited. The only noise in the park was the occasional barking of distant dogs and the faraway sounds of passing vehicles.

Assistant Yu and the driver Wang waited near the vehicle.

Luo Qiang relaxed on a bench under the 20 year-old-dove-tree. People say that the expanding leaves have a disagreeable odor but he didn't detect that at all, as the flowers themselves do have a musty hawthorn-like aroma. The smell is distinct but not overpowering, and it's excusable considering the magnificent show that the blooms provide. It was unusual to see a single dove tree alone in the middle of the park.

The saying,The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, seemed to be true.

Because the tree was personally planted by them when they were young, without other distinctions between genders, misunderstandings, or egos other than their pure hearts and playful thoughts, he knows the precise age of the tree. He could still clearly recall those times.

They attended the same elementary school for children under ten when they were eight years old. They go back together in a car with either their family butlers, Uncle Gao or Uncle Cao. On that particular day, Luo Feng's Mother, Li Mei also came.

Even though she became more reserved and silent, she was still a youthful and cheerful woman at that time. She treated him like her own child, listening to him and complimenting him, unlike his mother who neglected him.

That park was their favorite place to go for amusement and we got addicted to it. They used to beg his mom to bring them to this 'Children's Paradise' whenever she came to pick them up after school.
They played hide and seek, the yellow slide, which looked like a tube, was the place he usually hid into. They liked to compete to see who could climb higher on the climbing frames.

When they felt exhausted after playing for so long, they used to lie down on the ground for a nap or share their snacks.

After they played for half an hour, she called them with a little plant in her palm. He questioned what was it for. She said it should grow by then to show how strong their brotherhood is. They firmly told her that the tree will the stronger and taller, and she lightly laughed at their enthusiasm. He still remembers her words, "You two have to stay together and look out for one another."

All of those evoked his childhood memories in that park, which were full of laughter and happy tears. After those days, there were mistakes, misunderstandings, and further problems followed them. Now they have fallen apart.

'I didn't know he comes here but I do. He still blames me for those incidents.' Luo Qiang thought as he looked up at the tree.

As those old recollections resurfaced in his mind, he covered his slightly watery eyes with his hands.