The Tales of the Three Brothers

Aberforth and Gellert had met. The first meeting went to yelling as Aberforth failed the take care of Ariana. She was upset that Albus didn't take her. No one ate dinner that night, as Albus didn't have time to buy groceries.

It has been a week since the three boys hangout. They all tend to ignore each other or have small talk. Aberforth spends his time outside with the goats or goes outside somewhere. Albus and Gellert would spend their time in Albus' room, or leave the house.

This allows Ariana to have more free time. Although, she is upset that her brothers are avoiding each other. She worries about them. But right now, she wanted to see if she could call her new friend.

"Yes, I do know that story. The three brothers. What about them?" Ariana overhead Albus' conversation with Gellert.

"I believe those three objects exist. Imagine if we had all three hallowed objects. We could change the world," Ariana overheard Gellert say.

"I believe I have the book," Albus said.

Ariana quickly hides the book while going downstairs. "Albus, I will be going outside," she informed her eldest brother.

"Don't run off too far," Albus said. Both boys went upstairs to find the book.

"Kay," Ariana said, relieved that the boys had no clue the girl had the book. She had hoped the book would help bring her new acquainted friend.

She ran outside, far to a big tree. She loved the warm summer breeze. She sat by the tree, and open the book.

"Three brothers, traveling along a lonely, winding road at twilight reached a deep treacherous river where anyone who attempted to swim or wade would drown. Learned in the magical arts, the brothers conjured a bridge with their wands and proceeded to cross.

Halfway through the bridge, a hooded figure stood before them. The figure was the enraged spirit of Death, cheated of his due. Death cunningly pretended to congratulate them and proceeds to award them with gifts of their own choosing

The eldest brother, a combative man, asked for a wand more powerful than any in existence. Death granted his wish by fashioning the Elder Wand from a branch of a nearby elder tree standing on the banks of the river.

The second brother, an arrogant man, chose to further humiliate death, and asked for the power to recall the deceased from the grave. Death granted his wish by crafting the Resurrection Stone from a stone picked from the riverbank.

The third and youngest brother, who was the most humble and wise, did not trust Death and asked for something to enable him to go forth without Death being able to follow. A reluctant Death, most unwillingly, handed over his own invisibility cloak.

The three brothers took their prizes and soon went on their separate ways.

The eldest brother travelled to a village where a wizard whom he had quarrelled lived. He sought out a duel and fought the wizard using the wand, instantly killing the latter. Leaving his enemy dead upon the floor, the eldest brother walked to an inn not far from the duelling site and spent the night there. Taken by his conscience and lust of the Elder Wand's power, the eldest brother boasted of this wand gifted by Death and his own invincibility. That very night, an unknown murderous wizard crept up to the eldest brother as he slept, drunk from wine. The wizard stole the wand, then murdered the oldest brother by slitting his throat for good measure. That was when Death took the first brother for his own.

The middle brother returned to his home where he lived alone. Turning the stone thrice in his hand the figure of the girl he had once hoped to marry before her untimely death appeared at once before him, much to his delight. Yet she was sad and cold, separated from him as by a veil. Though she had returned to the mortal world, she did not truly belong there and suffered. Finally, the middle brother, driven mad with hopeless longing, committed suicide by hanging so as truly to join her. That was when Death took the second brother for his own.

Death searched for the youngest brother as years passed but never succeeded. It was only when the third brother reached a great age, he took off the Cloak of Invisibility and gave it to his son. Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals."

"This story is absurd, they make you look as the bad guy," Ariana commented on her dislike of the tale.

"You aren't a bad guy. You are helping people. You take them to that special place," Ariana looked at the hooded figure that happened to hear her read when passing by. Death enjoyed hearing that story, of having taken the three brothers' souls.

Death smiled hearing Ariana's kind words to him. No one has ever been this complimenting and kind to him.

"Say, have you seen my mommy there? I hope she is happy like Billy," Ariana asked Death if he has seen her mother.

He gave her a nod, which made her smile," I worried that she still would be angry with me. I—I did not mean to hurt her. I couldn't control myself. If I had controlled myself, she would be here with me," Ariana explained what happened to her mother.

Death already knew what happened to Kendra Dumbledore. He was there, he knows Ariana carries some dark magic.

"Can you take me to see my mommy? I missed her," Ariana hoped her new friend would take her to see her mother.

"One day, I will take you to her," Death replied as it wasn't her time.

"When?" She wondered, to prepare herself for the trip.

"Soon," Death said.

"Promise?" She said.

"I promise," Death assured her that he will take her one day to see her mother.

-----------------------------------------

Source of the book: https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Three_Brothers