five

CHAPTER FIVE

BONNIE COLLINS

BONNIE COLLINS

BONNIE, ANDREA, AND MICHONNE were looking around them in small wonder. The streets of Woodbury were immaculately kept, bearing no trace of the chaos and destruction that raged outside its borders. Lush gardens lined the sidewalks and the hum of life echoed through the narrow pathways as residents went about their daily routines.

They were currently following a woman holding a clipboard as she showed them around the gated community. "It's real," Andrea commented and looked around her seeing all those people. Yesterday, when the Governor was showing them around, the place looked like a ghost town but now it was full of life. 

"You three have been out there for a long time. While you were, the governor was doing this," the woman explained.

"How many people do you have here?" Andrea asked and walked next to the woman, leaving Michonne and Bonnie walking behind them. 

"Seventy-three," she said and waved to a pregnant woman passing them. "Eileen's about to pop, so her kid will make it seventy-four. Still a work in progress, but Rome wasn't built in a day."

"That's a bold comparison," Andrea commented.

"I think we've earned it. Walls haven't been breached in well over a month, we haven't suffered a casualty in the inside since early winter." 

"How's that possible?" Bonnie piped in, curious to hear how this type of community could be run meanwhile outside those walls it was chaos and nothing but survival.

"Our governor set a strict curfew. Nobody out after dark. Noise and light kept to the bare minimum, armed guards on the fence and controlling the perimeter to keep the biters away," she explained. 

"I saw what your patrols do on the way in last night. They had a dead one strung up like an ornament," Andrea turned to face the woman and they stopped walking for a moment.

"I won't make excuses," she took a small pause and turned to face both Bonnie and Michonne, "Those men, put their lives at risk every day to protect this town. We've lost more than a few friends out there. Everybody copes in their own way. But I'll raise it with the governor."

The woman left, leaving the three women with each other. Bonnie quickly noticed Michonne's suspicious look. "What are you thinking about?" Bonnie lowered her voice.

Bonnie possessed a deep faith in the enigmatic warrior with her katana. There was just something when the two of them met for the first time, even back then Michonne's gaze reflected both determination but also compassion. Since their meeting, Bonnie had trusted her ability to make even difficult decisions in stressful times.