seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

NATE DIXON

NATE DIXON

AS NATE FORGED HIS WEAPONS, the man's mind was consumed by thoughts of Bonnie. Her face, etched in his memory, drove him forward, fueling a determination that bordered on obsession.  She was a ray of light amidst the darkness and she fueled his determination to break free of the shackles of his past. He needed to find her. She had to be alive.

The cell block he had been staying in was cold and empty. The world had crumbled but he was still a prisoner, it didn't matter that there were no guards, he still felt like a prisoner inside those walls. Nate's physique held traces of youthful strength, but it was marred by the hardships he had endured. In his demeanor, there was a sense of guardedness, a shield he had developed to protect himself from the world that had let him down. 

"Hey, man!" Axel interrupted his thoughts, "We are going to go talk to them. Ask if we could maybe join them."

Nate chuckled, "They aren't going to agree. The cop will probably tell you to fuck off."

"We got to try. I can't be here another day," Axel continued, his arms crossed over his body.

"I can join you guys. I think I'm ready to head out," Nate said as he picked up his stuff. His prison overall was tied to his waist, leaving him in his t-shirt, showcasing his inked arms. 

Oscar looked his friend up and down, "You are really leaving?"

"Yeah," Nate only passed them, "I get that it's safe here but I just need to do this. I should have done this eight months ago when this all started."

When they got outside they soon spotted the group of survivors and they seemed to spot them at the same time. Rick's previous smile on his lips fell immediately when he locked his eyes with them. "Come with me," he said to his friends, "That's close enough. We had an agreement."

"Please, mister. We know that, we made a deal," as Axel was speaking Maggie and Glenn arrived, "But you gotta understand! We can't live in that place another minute, you follow me? All the bodies, people we knew! Blood, brains everywhere! There's ghosts!"

"Why don't you move the bodies out?" Daryl asked.

"You should be burning them," T-Dog added.

"We tried! We did!"

"The fence is down on the far side of the prison. Every time we drag a body out, those things just line up. So hump in a body and just running back inside," Oscar explained.

"Look! We had nothing to do with Thomas and Andrew, nothing! You trying to prove a point? You proved it, bro! We'll do whatever it takes to be a part of your group, just, please, please, don't make us live in that place!" Axel said.

"Our deal is not negotiable. You either live in your cell block, or you leave," Rick said sternly. 

"If I were to leave, could you spare me some things?" Nate asked and locked his eyes with Rick who tilted his head. "I was able to make and collect weapons from the stuff in the cell block but --"