nine

CHAPTER NINE

BONNIE COLLINS

BONNIE COLLINS

BONNIE FELT GUILTY. Guilty for letting Merle take Glenn and the girl. They seemed like good people and they were just trying to find formula for a child. Now she felt determined to get to that prison and not only for Nate but for the child. If they didn't, their group would never know what happened to the pair Bonnie and Michonne had seen at the store. She felt like a coward.

And then, of course, there was Nate. Back in her mind, Bonnie knew that there was a big possibility that this disease had taken him in the beginning. If this group was in prison it meant that they had killed all those walkers. Every time Bonnie returned to that prison it was filled with more and more of the dead and she knew back then that there was no way she was getting inside those walls alone. Back then she had hoped that Nate had gotten out and if she kept returning there maybe he had the same thought. He was staying near the prison for the possibility that Bonnie would do the same. 

Bonnie knew that Michonne wasn't very good at talking about her emotions. During their time together it sometimes took Bonnie a lot of time to get an even small fact about the woman. While she and Andrea talked about themselves well, Michonne was a different story.

There was this certain tension between the pair as they kept walking. Neither one of them wanted to say anything about the prison but Bonnie didn't need to hear the words, she knew what Michonne was thinking about. That she shouldn't be too hopeful that Nate would be there. She probably thought Bonnie was a stupid girl with stupid hopes.

Bonnie was gripping the basket's handle like her life depended on it and Michonne was too stubborn to accept Bonnie's offer of help with walking. She wanted to say something, anything but she wasn't able to let the words out. She was usually rambling when there was any type of silence, always being uncomfortable with silence but now the moment didn't feel right. 

Finally, they saw the fence. Every step she took brought her closer to the imposing structure, its crumbling walls a stark reminder of the world they now inhabited. But despite the sense of foreboding that hung heavy in the air, Bonnie couldn't suppress the surge of hope that swelled within her chest. She was finally there.

The dead were pounding on those fences but they didn't notice Michonne or Bonnie who were covered in blood and gore. The first thing she noticed was a man walking up to them. Even though he was far away, Bonnie could see that he was confused. He pulled his gun out and covered the sun with his hand, almost as if he thought the two girls weren't there really and it was just a hallucination.

Michonne reached the fence first, there were walkers on either side of her. She grabbed the fence with her hand. The man looked between Michonne and Bonnie who was now behind her and then his eyes found the red basket on Bonnie's hand, where the baby formula was in.