twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

NATE DIXON

Every step he took away from her felt like a dagger to his heart, his mind consumed with thoughts of Bonnie's safety and well-being. Each footfall echoed with the weight of his fear, the haunting specter of loss looming ominously over him like a dark cloud. He had just gotten her back and the thought of losing her made his mind a mess of tangled emotions.

Nate didn't trust easily. It wasn't in his nature to blindly place his faith in others but they had to get Daryl back, and that meant trusting Michonne to keep Bonnie safe. While he harbored doubts about Michonne and her intentions, there was one person in whom he had unwavering faith: Bonnie.

It was clear to Nate that Bonnie trusted her, she even seemed to look up to the woman with her katana. So Nate had to trust Bonnie's judge of character and believe that Michonne would keep her safe.

The air was thick with tension as Nate, Rick, and Maggie made their way through the streets of Woodbury, their footsteps echoing off the dilapidated buildings that loomed ominously overhead. In the distance, the sounds of chaos and violence filled the air, the unmistakable sounds of a fight in full swing.

With a silent nod from Rick, the group pressed on, their senses on high alert as they rounded a corner and came face to face with the scene before them. In the center of a makeshift arena, Daryl stood surrounded by a ring of hostile onlookers, his fists raised in a defiant stance as he faced off against his opponents. His back was against Merle's, as the people tried pushing walkers at them.

The trio were hidden in the shadows. Nate watched as Maggie aimed and shot one of the walkers and Nate raised his gun and started shooting at the lights. Rick threw a smoke bomb. The canister hissed as it hit the ground, releasing a thick plume of smoke that billowed up, obscuring their movements and disorienting their adversaries.

Screams of the people filled the arena as people took cover or started running away from the action. Nate's heart raced as he wove through the swirling smoke, his senses on high alert as he searched for any sign of Daryl amidst the tumultuous fray.

As Nate reached the edge of the ring, he locked eyes with Daryl, a silent understanding passing between them. The chaos gave them a perfect cover and Daryl was able to slip away.

As Merle's eyes met Nate's, a mixture of shock and surprise flickered across Merle's features.  It was the first time they had seen each other since Nate's arrest, and the weight of their shared history hung heavy in the air between them. As Nate's eyes bore into Merle's, anger simmered beneath the surface, a fierce intensity burning in his gaze. He couldn't forget the betrayal, the pain of knowing that his own cousin had been involved in a plot to harm Bonnie

Nate didn't say a word to him as he turned his back to him and kept heading out with the rest of them.

They were almost out of the for the second time now but this time they had everyone with them, and Merle.