Chapter 2: Happy birthday to me

The next day I was woken up by the loud pop of a champagne bottle and the girls singing 'happy birthday' to me. After breakfast we did a spot of shopping and I treated myself to a new outfit for the show, a long sleeve fitted black dress with a small oval cut out on the chest.
We went for some lunch in a quaint cafe then headed back to the hotel to start getting ready.
Outfit, heels, jewellery, make-up, hair, perfume...all checked and ready to go. I felt confident when I looked in the mirror, turning 30 didn't feel so bad after all.
"You look a million dollars!" Lara said to me.
"We all do!" I said, both of them looked very glamorous.
"Oh! I almost forgot!" Lara rummaged through her case and pulled out a silver sash with 'It's my birthday!' on. I laughed as she draped it over me.

When we arrived at the theatre I got butterflies in my stomach when I saw the giant poster for the show lit up outside. My eyes immediately went to Gwendoline who looked as stunning as ever with her wavy blonde hair, maroon red lips and dark eye makeup, she was wearing a white bridal dress with her hand on her hip.
"Stop drooling and get inside!" Lara said, pulling me away but giant Gwendoline's eyes seemed to follow me.

Lara led the way as we entered the auditorium, purposely keeping hold of all three tickets. The usher scanned them and pointed our seats, "row AA is just down there. Have a good night ladies! Oh and happy birthday!"
I thanked him, blushing.
Row AA? That sounded pretty far down.
We walked down the stairs and I stopped when I spotted row A, but the girls carried on walking...all the way down the very front of the stage.
"Surprise! Front row seats!" Lara said excitedly.
"Oh my-" I started. Lara and Kat laughed at my stunned expression, I looked at the square stage directly in front of me with my jaw hanging open.
"You'll be within touching distance of Gwendoline Christie!" Kat said. The thought of her being so close terrified me!

We sat down together and I anxiously fidgeted in my seat waiting for the show to start. Now I was extremely nervous as well as excited. I felt so starstruck and she wasn't even on the stage yet!
"Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to this evening's performance of William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'" a loud male voice said through the speakers, "we would like to remind you that no photography or video is permitted during the performance. We would also like to remind you..." he went on.
"Dammit I'm so close and I can't even get a picture of her!" I whispered to the others.
"Just try and be sneaky about it!" Lara said, "I'll give you a nudge when the ushers aren't looking".
It was risky but for my own shot of Gwendoline I was more than willing to give it a go.

The lights went down and the show started, I eagerly awaited Titania's entrance.
All eyes looked to the ceiling as she was lowered down on what looked like a swing made from silk. Her emerald green dress was decorated with flowers and her golden locks were tied back in a long braid. Even from my seat I could see her sapphire blue eyes gleaming. I was mesmerised, it was like watching an angel descend from heaven.

About halfway through the first act I felt a nudge from Lara next to me as Gwendoline came over to our side of the stage. I discreetly took out my phone and pointed it upwards from my lap. Gwendoline had her back to us but she was right in front of me so I took my chance! However stupid me forgot to put my phone on silent and as I took a picture of her my phone made the camera shutter noise! Luckily it wasn't loud enough to alert the ushers but it did get the attention of someone else...Gwendoline. As soon as the noise went off she whipped around and looked straight at me, I gripped my phone tightly and held my breath. She just smiled, put her finger to her lips, winked at me then turned back to continue the performance. My heart was racing and I was frozen in my seat. I quickly threw my phone in my bag while Lara and Kat giggled like schoolkids next to me.

The rest of the show was fantastic! It turned into a bit of a party by the end with the cast dancing on stage to Dizzee Rascal's 'Bonkers'. Gwendoline looked so joyous and full of life, jumping around and dancing away without a care in the world. The energy was infectious as the whole audience joined in, including us!
"So did you enjoy it?" Kat asked as we gathered our things to leave.
"It was amazing! Thank you girls, this has been the best birthday!" I said.
"And you made eye contact with Gwendoline Christie!" Lara said.
"Oh my God, that was so embarrassing-" I said before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a man with a headset on wearing a black polo shirt with the Bridge Theatre logo stitched on. Shit, I was in trouble.
"Excuse me, are you the person who took a photo of Gwendoline earlier?" he said firmly.
"Um...yes. I'm so sorry I can delete it if you want me to?" I said nervously.
His tone softened, "oh don't worry you're not in any trouble. But Miss Christie has requested to meet you".
"What?! She wants to meet...me?" I said, completely baffled by the very idea.
"Yes, if you'd like to accompany me backstage I'll take you to her dressing room" he said nonchalantly.
"Uh...I...um..." I stuttered.
"She'd love to!" Lara said, pushing me a little closer to him.
"What are you doing?!" I whispered to her.
"Just go for it! It's your birthday and a chance to meet your celebrity crush!" she whispered back.
"Great! Right this way!" Lara gave me another little push, I looked back at them wide eyed as they waved me off.