Chapter 7: Scorned

"What a bitch!" Lara said when I told her and Kat about my morning with Gwen.
"I don't even know if she was being cruel to be kind" I said, tucking into a Danish pastry in our hotel room.
"Or just downright cruel!" Lara said angrily.
"Maybe she's right though, maybe it is for the best" Kat said.
"Who's side are you on?!" Lara scorned.
"I'm just saying! Maybe she didn't want to get too close because she knows she can't commit to you" Kat explained.
"Well...I'll never know now. But last night really was something else" I said dreamily.
I paused as I thought back to us making love in the moonlight...
"I'm never watching Game of Thrones ever again!" Lara huffed, folding her arms.

We packed our things and checked out of the hotel. We spent the rest of the day sightseeing. The girls tried desperately to cheer me up but all I could think about was Gwen. I caught myself wondering what she doing, how she was feeling, what she was thinking about, but it was torture.
We went for lunch at a fancy cafe in Leicester Square and sat in a booth by the window.
"I'll just have a lemonade please" I said to the waiter when he took our drinks order. Just then a double decker bus drove past our window with a large poster for 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' on, and Titania staring right at me.
"Actually I'll have a large white wine please" I said to him.

It was approaching 6:30pm and time for us to get our train home from King's Cross. As we sat waiting I imagined lots of different movie-like scenarios of Gwen running through the station and jumping the ticket barriers desperate to find me. She'd see me approaching the train doors and call to me, we'd run to each other, she'd pick me up, swing me round, declare her undying love for me, beg me not to go and we'd live happily ever after. But I looked around and there was no sign of her.
I resigned myself to the fact that I was just a one night stand to her, I'd never see her again except on TV. At the time I was OK about having just one night with her, but the way her attitude switched in the blink of an eye hurt me. I really thought we had something and truthfully no one had ever gotten to me like this before.
I looked around the station one final time then stepped on the train. I hurried to a window seat, my hopes of seeing her still clinging on by a thread. The doors closed and the train began to move. My heart broke as I watched the station get further and further away. I swallowed the lump in my throat and just stared out of the window. I had to let her go.