Chapter 16: Sunflowers & Roses

By the time we got to the theatre the show was already halfway through. We'd got stuck in traffic on our way so I had to put up with a lot of swearing and beeping from Lara. We'd discussed various plans of action during the journey but nothing made sense. I'd have to improvise.
There were bouncers on each door of the theatre including the backstage entrance and the paparazzi were already starting to gather.
"How the hell am I supposed to get in? There's security and paps everywhere!" I said, examining the scene.
"Hmm there's a fire exit over there, maybe we can wait till it opens then you can run in?" Kat suggested, it was a long shot but it was all we had right now. We waited and waited keeping a close eye on the fire exit door, praying for someone to open it from the other side.
After about half an hour a florist's van parked up in front of us, blocking our view.
"Oh for god's sake! Move you idiot!" Lara shouted. A man stepped out and opened the back doors of the van taking out a huge bouquet of sunflowers mixed with white roses.
"Gwen's favourites..." I thought and a light bulb switched on in my brain, they had to be for her.
"That's it!" I said as I frantically got out of the car and jogged up to the delivery driver.
"Excuse me? Are those for Miss Christie?" I asked, trying to sound like some sort of professional.
"Um..." he checked the card that was sticking out at the top of the bouquet, "yes they are".
"Oh great, I'm her assistant so let me take those off you. I'll make sure she gets them" I said, holding my hands out.
"Hmm alright, I'm already running late for my next delivery so here" and he gave me the bouquet, it was surprisingly heavy!
"Thanks. Drive safe!" I called after him as he got back in his van and left.
I looked back at Lara and Kat in the car applauding me then gesturing for me to head to the backstage door.

I nervously approached the bouncer and said cheerfully "delivery for Miss Christie!".
He looked at me suspiciously, "where's your badge Miss?"
"My...badge? I'm her assistant, can I not just-".
"Sorry can't let you in without a badge" he said dismissively.
"It's OK she's with me" I heard a familiar voice coming up behind me. It was Frank.
"Oh hey Frank, sorry I didn't know. Go on then, in you go" and the bouncer held open the door for us both to enter. Frank thanked him then hurried us down the corridor.
"What are you doing here Jo?" Frank said quietly when the door shut behind us.
"I have to see Gwen tonight before she leaves!"
"Couldn't you have just waited till the end of the show?" he said, a small laugh in his voice. I could have but I just acted on impulse, that's what love does to you I suppose.
"No, I couldn't risk missing her! I need to tell her..." I trailed off.
"Tell her what?"
"...that I love her".
His eyes softened and he smiled down at me. Gwen had told me Frank was a big softie and she trusted him like he was her own brother. So she probably confided in him about everything at some point.
"Are those for her? From you?" he said, pointing to the heavy bouquet that was making my muscles ache.
"Yeah, I intercepted the delivery guy. I think they're from the cast and crew" I said checking the card.
"OK I've got an idea", he checked his watch and looked up and down the corridor, "follow me".
He led me to Gwen's dressing room and we went inside, it was a lot bigger than the one I'd previously been in. He looked in a few drawers muttering to himself then pulled out a spare backstage pass.
"Here, this should keep you out of trouble" he said and I clipped the badge on my jeans pocket.
"Now the show should be finishing soon so I'm assuming they want to give her those flowers on stage. I'll take you to the stage entrance so you can go on and surprise her" Frank said determinedly.
I nodded in agreement, "how do you know so much about all of this Frank?"
"I worked in a few theatres back in the day, so I know how it all functions" he said with a wink.
"Thank you so much for this" I said sincerely.
"What can I say? I'm an old romantic".

He took me to the stage entrance and I could see Gwen's emerald green gown swishing around the stage. I was beaming with pride watching her perform with such passion. Luckily she didn't see me so our plan was working.
The lights went up and there was rapturous applause from the audience. Gwen blew kisses at them as well as the cast and crew, she was enjoying every moment of her last performance as the Queen of the Fairies.
I was so engrossed watching her that I didn't even notice the show's runner appear beside me. He whispered "go go go!" and nudged me onto the stage. I looked back at Frank who gave an encouraging thumbs up. I was incredibly nervous now, being on stage in front of all of these people knowing what I was about to do. I held the flowers in front of my face so she couldn't see who was bringing them. When I heard her gasp with delight I knew I was close, I lowered the bouquet and beamed at her.
"Jo!" she looked shocked but smiled from ear to ear, "how did you-?"
The applause and cheers were muffling out our exchange.
"It doesn't matter. I came to give you these and to tell you...I love you too".
She clasped her hands over her chest and her eyes started to water.
"I want us to be together. I don't know how but we'll make it work. I love you so much Gwen, I can't let you go again".
"I love you too Jo" she threw her arms around me then kissed me right there on stage. The applause and cheers carried on but now they were mixed with wolf whistles, she took the bouquet from me and squeezed my hand as she bowed with the rest of the cast.
"Come on, let's go live our happily ever after" she said excitedly and we ran off stage together to do exactly that.

Hi reader! Thanks for taking the time to read my story. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it ❤️This story is also on AO3 if you'd like to support it on there too 😁