Chapter 6: The morning after the night before

The next morning I woke up to birdsong and bright sunlight. I was still completely naked from last night and the silk sheets felt nice on my skin. I stretched and felt them slide off me but for the first time ever I didn't feel the urgent need to cover myself up and hide myself from the person I lay with.
I turned over and Gwen was sleeping soundly next to me. Her golden hair and pale skin glowed in the sunlight, she looked like a renaissance painting. I watched her for a while then her eyes flickered open.
"Morning" I said softly.
"Mmm what angel wakes me from my flowery bed?" she said as her pupils adjusted to the light. I chuckled at the quote.
There were so many things I wanted to say to her. I wanted to thank her for an incredible night and for making me feel comfortable in my own skin again. I wanted to tell her how beautiful she looked right now and how much I didn't want our time to end.
"I...um...I..."
She giggled and kissed my forehead.
"Last night was incredible Jo. Thank you for staying" she said as she stroked my hair.
"I should be thanking you Gwen" I said, "you've no idea what you've done for me".
"Aww come here" she lay on her back with her arm outstretched inviting me to snuggle into her. I did so and rested my head on her chest, her steady heartbeat calming my soul.

I felt so relaxed and content that I almost nodded off and when she spoke it startled me.
"When do you have to go?" she said.
"My train leaves at 6:30pm tonight" I said, my heart ached at the thought of going back home to my normal life because she wouldn't be there.
"Oh...I see".
There was a long silence and I squeezed her tightly before lifting my head to kiss her. She kissed me back quite hard and gripped my hair then suddenly pulled away.
"You need to go" she said firmly.
"What?" I said, confused by the sudden change in her voice.
"You should go back to your friends. Go home. We both know this won't work...it's better this way" and she abruptly got out of bed and began dressing herself.
"Gwen I-"
"Please! Just go!" she yelled, "I'll have my driver take you back to your hotel". Her voice was stern but shaking.
"What if I don't want to leave you?" I said in a feeble attempt to stay longer.
She stopped what she was doing and we stared as she wrestled with her emotions. Surely she didn't mean what she was saying?
"I want you to go. It's for the best. Now get dressed" she said and stormed out of the room. This was not the same person I met last night, not even the same person I woke up with. I felt hurt, confused and foolish. Going back home didn't seem so bad now.

Once I was dressed I exited the bedroom and Gwen was leaning on the breakfast bar. She didn't even look up at me as I gathered my shoes and bag, she'd made me feel like crap so I just wanted to leave. Clearly last night wasn't as special to her as it was to me.
"Goodbye Gwen" I said as I opened the front door.
"Wait" she said, I turned back hoping she would say sorry or beg me not to go but instead she just handed me my sash "you forgot this". I sighed and took it from her then walked off, slamming the door behind me.

About halfway down the stairs I sat and cried, I felt like such an idiot. She just used me like a desperate groupie and just told me what I wanted to hear to get me into bed. Why did I expect an ethereal being like her to be interested in someone like me? I took out my phone and called Kat.

"Jo? Where are you? Are you OK?"
"Hiya. Yeah I'm on my way back now".
"What's wrong? You sound upset".
"I'll explain later".
"OK we'll save you some pastries from the buffet".
"Thank you, you're such a sweetheart Kat".
"Take care".

I got myself together and carried on my journey downstairs. As I left the main entrance I saw Gwen's driver, Frank, waiting outside for me.
"You need a lift back Miss Reed?" he called.
"No thanks, I'll walk" and I set off down the street.