𝒸ℴ𝓃𝓈ℯ𝓆𝓊ℯ𝓃𝒸ℯ𝓈 ⁰⁹

"Have you all been drinking tonight?" one of the officers inquired sternly, his gaze shifting from one person to another.

Jeremiah, who was now back with Steven, thinking quickly, decided to speak up. "Sir, I'm the DD tonight and I haven't been drinking. Neither have the girls," he stated firmly, trying to maintain a calm demeanor. However, the officers weren't easily convinced.

The tension in the car was palpable as the teenagers anxiously awaited the officers' decision. After a brief exchange between the police officers, they made a decision. Considering the influence of Mr. Fisher, Conrad and Jeremiah's father, they decided against taking the teenagers into custody. Instead, they opted to split them up and drive them to Susannah's beach house, where they would be kept under surveillance.

⋅• ━━━ ••⋅⊰☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎⊱⋅•• ━━━ •⋅

As the patrol car arrived at the beach house, the officers escorted the teenagers inside. Grateful for the leniency shown by the police, Laurel stepped forward to express her gratitude.

"Officers, thank you. It won't happen again, I can promise you that much," Laurel addressed the officers with a sincere tone, acknowledging the severity of the situation. The officers nodded in acknowledgment before departing, leaving the teenagers alone with Laurel in the beach house.

With a stern expression on her face, Laurel turned her attention to the group, disappointment evident in her eyes. Florence and Jeremiah stood in one corner, their guilt weighing heavily on them. Belly and Steven stood in the other corner, their faces reflecting a mix of remorse and apprehension. Conrad, lying on the couch, fought off the encroaching hangover, a physical reminder of the consequences of their actions.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?" Laurel's voice was filled with a mix of anger and concern, her disappointment palpable. Steven attempted to defend their actions, claiming it wasn't a big deal and that the police were merely dispersing the bonfire.

"Not a big deal? I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Steven," Laurel retorted sharply, not accepting his attempt to downplay the situation.

Conrad, sensing an opportunity, directed the attention towards Laurel.

"Were you guys smoking tonight?" he asked, sensing a need to redirect the blame. Laurel stumbled over her words, trying to divert the conversation.

"What? Keep your voice down. Susannah's asleep on the couch," Laurel retorted, her defensiveness palpable.

"Well, I wasn't yelling. Well, you-you-you were," Conrad explained, attempting to hold her accountable. Laurel's glare intensified, frustration evident on her face.

"You're the oldest. What the hell's gotten into you?" she directed her question at Conrad before turning her attention to Belly and Florence. "And how did you two end up at the party from a walk on the beach? And what in the world are you wearing?"

Belly, fueled by anger, challenged her mother's restrictions. "It's Taylor's. And why am I the only one who's not allowed to go out?" she questioned with resentment.

Laurel sighed, attempting to clarify her intentions. "It's not that you're not allowed, it's that you should have told us you were going there," she explained, her frustration mingling with concern.

Florence, recognizing the escalating tension, interjected, eager to shed light on their innocence. "Laurel, just so you know, me and Belly didn't drink. We just ended up there while taking a walk," she disclosed, hoping to ease some of Laurel's worries.