𝒷ℴℴ𝓀 𝓈𝒾𝑔𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔¹³

Later in the evening, the anticipation for Laurel's book signing filled the air as everyone gathered in the kitchen. Amidst the preparations, Susannah and Laurel indulged in a bit of nostalgia, reminiscing about the resurgence of crop tops in fashion. Florence took a moment to offer some sisterly advice to Belly.

"Have fun tonight, and make safe choices," Florence said with a teasing glint in her eye. Both girls burst into laughter, sharing a moment of camaraderie.

Laurel, catching onto the girls' conversation, turned to her daughter.

"Are you not driving with us?" Laurel questioned her.

Belly, with a hint of regret, confessed, "Um, sorry, Mom, I forgot to tell you. I have a date. His name is Cam."

Susannah chimed in, providing some background, "Yeah, his mom works at the Club. He's a smart boy. Like Harvard smart."

Laurel, though slightly disappointed, masked it with understanding. "Oh, it's okay. Of course, you can go. I've dragged you to enough of these book parties over the years. Have a great date."

With the moms engrossed in their conversation about Laurel's book again, the girls retreated to the TV room. Meanwhile, the boys were engrossed in a game until Jeremiah's attention was diverted to catch a glimpse of the girls.

Jeremiah, captivated by Belly's transformation, dropped his controller and approached her dramatically. "Damn! You... look... hot!" he complimented, twirling her for added effect.

Steven, lounging on the sofa, playfully intervened, "Hey, hey, hey, stop flirting with my sister."

Jeremiah, quick to clarify, added, "Well, you look good, though."

Florence, observing the exchange, decided to drop a crucial piece of information. "She has a date."

The girl didn't miss the shift in Jeremiah's demeanor at that, but chose not to address it immediately.

"Uh, okay. Bye," Belly bid them goodbye, responding to a text.

"Stay safe, and keep your phone on you!" Florence called after Belly as she hurriedly exited through the main door.

With a cheerful smile, Florence strolled back into the living room, positioning herself squarely in front of the TV, interrupting Steven's intense gaming session.

"Flo, move!" Steven protested loudly, gesturing for her to clear the view.

"Flo, move, I'm losing!" Jeremiah chimed in, perplexed by Florence's interruption.

Ignoring their pleas, Florence stood her ground. "I need you guys' help to make sure Laurel's book signing is perfect, and I'm not moving until you agree to help," she declared with determination.

Conrad, lounging on the couch, intervened, "I think Mom already handled all that."

"Sue only handled the decor; we need to make sure people are entertained too," Florence retorted with a hint of 'duh' in her tone. "That means good music, ensuring everyone's served at all times. All the plates and glasses are full, and someone with Laurel all the time, helping with the books."

Conrad, with a sigh, rose from his seat, approaching Florence. Gently holding both her arms, he guided her away from the TV. At first confused, Florence soon realized his intent and glared at him in return.

Frustration flashed across her face as she turned to the guys on the couch. "Guys, come on, this is very important for Laurel. Please."

As Florence looked at Conrad with pleading eyes, he knew he was defeated. The sadness in her eyes, driven by concern for someone else, showcased the enduring compassion everyone knew her for.