𝓂𝒾𝓍ℯ𝒹 ℯ𝓂ℴ𝓉𝒾ℴ𝓃𝓈¹⁰

It was the next morning, with the sun just beginning to rise, when Florence woke up early, filled with a desire to go swimming before the day unfolded. She hadn't had the chance to visit the beach yet this summer, and she longed to immerse herself in the cool embrace of the ocean. Gathering her swimsuit and towel, she made her way towards the beach.

As Florence arrived at the beach, she scanned the area, taking in the serene beauty that surrounded her. However, her tranquility was abruptly shattered when she spotted Conrad sitting by the shore, a familiar scent wafting in the air. Smoke. It didn't take long for her to realize that Conrad was once again smoking pot.

Disappointment and frustration welled up inside her as Florence hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether to approach Conrad or simply leave him to his own devices. But her concern for him won out, and she decided to confront him about his actions. Taking a deep breath, she walked over to where he was sitting, her eyes fixed on him with a piercing glare.

Conrad, sensing her presence, turned around and was taken aback by the intensity of Florence's glare. Confusion filled his expression as he asked, "Why are you always glaring at me?"

Florence let out a sigh of disappointment and plopped down onto the sandy beach next to Conrad. She glanced at him with a mischievous grin, holding out her hand expectantly, hoping this would be a better approach than getting angry at him again. Conrad furrowed his brows, confusion etching his features.

"Let me have a puff," Florence requested, her voice filled with playful determination.

Conrad scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief, "you must be joking," he replied, a hint of amusement in his tone, "no way, Flo. It's bad for you. Plus, Laurel and Mom would actually kill me."

Florence persisted, her eyes gleaming with mischief, "well, if it's bad for me, then how's it not bad for you?" she nudged him playfully, "come on, I won't tell them. And if they ever find out, you can just say you were still drunk or hungover and forgot it happened."

Conrad chuckled, shaking his head in amusement, "absolutely not, Flo. Nice try, though. Plus, I always remember when I drink."

Florence's lips curled into a mischievous smile, "fine, then if I can't smoke, you can't smoke," she declared sweetly, causing Conrad to laugh, realizing the sincerity behind her playful banter. He put out the pot and nodded.

"Same old Flo," he remarked, "hey, how about we go pick up some of those delicious muffins before everybody else gets up?"

Florence's expression turned slightly downcast as she replied, "Um, I kinda already promised Laurel and Susannah that I would help them with Laurel's book signing setup."

Conrad's disappointment momentarily flickered across his face, but he quickly recovered. "Raincheck, then?" he suggested, hoping for another opportunity.

"Yeah yeah, sure," Florence agreed, a hint of regret in her voice. "The tide's too rough for a swim now," she added, glancing at her swim towel and swimsuit, realizing that her plan for a swim had been thwarted.

Conrad nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it is," he agreed sympathetically.

"Second day of summer, and I still haven't been able to go for a proper swim in the ocean. That sucks," Florence pouted in sadness as Conrad smiled at her expressions.

"We can come back when the water is calmer," he suggested, extending his hand to help her up from the sand. They exchanged smiles, their disappointment momentarily forgotten as they began walking back to Susannah's beach-house, hand in hand.

⋅• ━━━ ••⋅⊰☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎⊱⋅•• ━━━ •⋅

Belly's heart sank as she realized she had missed Cam's whale-watching boat. She had woken up early, filled with anticipation, hoping to catch a glimpse of him before he set off on his expedition. However, as she hurried towards the shore, her breaths coming in ragged gasps, she saw the boat already pulling away, leaving her behind.

Disappointment and frustration washed over Belly as she stood there, her gaze fixed on the fading boat.

Lost in her thoughts, Belly wondered where Florence had disappeared to so early in the morning. The pang of curiosity drove her to take a walk along the beach, hoping to clear her mind. As she strolled along, her eyes caught sight of something that made her heart skip a beat.

There, in the distance, she saw Conrad and Florence. They were laughing, their voices carrying on the ocean breeze. Conrad extended his hand, helping Florence up from the sand, and the two began walking towards the beach-house hand in hand. A knot formed in Belly's stomach as she watched their easy camaraderie and the genuine happiness that radiated from Conrad.

Jealousy gnawed at Belly's heart as she observed the closeness between them.

They seemed so at ease in each other's company, their connection palpable even from afar. She couldn't help but feel a pang of envy, wondering how they had become so close, despite not having seen each other in years.

It perplexed Belly that despite spending every summer with Conrad, their bond had never reached the depth and intimacy that Conrad and Florence seemed to share. She couldn't shake the feeling of being an outsider, observing the closeness of their friendship from the outside.

With a heavy sigh, she realized that Florence had managed to bridge the gap between her and Conrad, capturing his attention and affection in a way that Belly had never been able to.

Knowing that she couldn't bear to see them together any longer, Belly turned on her heel and hastened back to the beach-house before Conrad and Florence could catch a glimpse of her. She hoped that by retreating, she could shield herself from the hurt and envy that threatened to consume her.

As Belly made her way back, her footsteps heavy and her mind burdened with mixed emotions, she couldn't shake off the nagging question of whether she would ever be able to share the same bond with Conrad that Florence had effortlessly forged. The weight of uncertainty pressed upon her, casting a shadow over the sunny summer day, as she grappled with her feelings and tried to find solace within the walls of the beach-house.

⋅• ━━━ ••⋅⊰☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎⊱⋅•• ━━━ •⋅

outfit for the beach⋅• ━━━ ••⋅⊰☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎⊱⋅•• ━━━ •⋅

⋅• ━━━ ••⋅⊰☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎⊱⋅•• ━━━ •⋅