Chapter 51

A/N: Thanks to everyone giving this a chance! Small time jump here.

Enjoy!

Three days later:

Carolyn popped the cake pan in the oven and set the timer. She gave the island one last wipe, and folded the tea towel. Anna was coming home today, and Meredith didn't know it, but there was going to be a party like none other.

"Well, hello Zola, are you going to be my helper?" she asked her small companion. Zola had been Carolyn's miniature shadow, never letting her far out of sight, except when they visited Meredith and Anna at the hospital.

"I help," said the girl with a nod.

"Can you take these plates to the living room, dear? Just put them on the coffee table."

"O-kay," Zola replied sweetly, accepting the blue and pink paper plates.

"Thatta girl," murmured Carolyn.

"Hey," Maggie came in through the kitchen door, arms full of shopping bags. "I got everything... I think. Balloons, streamers... oh this is going to be great!"

"Indeed," Carolyn said, raising an eyebrow. Was that a pinata?

"Okay, well I've got to get this set up. Meredith will be here in what, an hour? Oh my God!"

Carolyn shook her head at Maggie's panic. "There's plenty of time," she said. "Maybe Lexie can help."

"Great idea. Is she here yet?"

"Hello!" A deep voice called from the front room. Mark. And Lexie, no doubt.

"In here!" Carolyn called.

Maggie bustled through the kitchen door into the living room with all her bags. "Lex-"

Carolyn chuckled softly, and reached in the cupboard for the JELLO.

"Oh, hello again," she said to the shadow that reappeared. "Do you want to help me make JELLO?"

"I good helper."

"Yes, you are." She smiled and pulled up a chair to the counter. "Stand on this, dear. Okay, we just have to wait for the water to boil-"

She was interrupted by the kitchen door opening again. What, no knock? Was this a hostel? A dorm? Meredith's place seemed to be home to all.

"Carolyn."

"Dr. Webber!"

"Please, call me Richard."

"Richard, I didn't think you would be here already."

Richard rubbed the top of his head. "Well, I came to scope out the situation for Amelia. She wanted to pick up her things..." he trailed off awkwardly.

Carolyn looked out to the living room, where Lexie and Maggie were discussing decoration ideas. She wasn't sure about the sisters' acceptance. Especially now. "I... don't think it's a good idea today," she said softly.

Richard nodded, following her gaze. "I understand," he said. "Oh, but I brought this," he said, lifting the long thin gift bag up and extracting a dark green bottle topped with gold foil, "Château de Fleur. Champagne. Non alcoholic, of course."

"Oh," she cooed, "That's lovely. We'll have a toast. The kids can have punch."

"Excellent. Well... I've got to get back to the hospital. Discharge our favorite patient."

"Richard..."

He turned.

"You know her better than I do... Meredith. You're like a father to her... You've seen her through thick and thin. She's ready isn't she? She can handle all this?" Carolyn gestured to the kitchen behind her and the living room behind that, finally resting her hand on Zola's shoulder as she licked sticky JELLO powdered fingers.

Lost and FoundOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara