-003

STELLA WAS AMAZED TO see how quickly the Hunters had set up the camping site. There were seven tents made of silver silk that curved in a crescent around the side of the bonfire. Wolves guarded the camp while falcons observed from the trees.

The wind had died down, and the snow had stopped falling. Sitting by the fire was almost peaceful, except for the fact that her best friend had just vanished.

Percy sat beside her and looked like he was in deep thought. He watched Thalia pacing at the edge of camp, and Stella knew he was replaying their argument.

"Hey," She said, shaking him out of his thoughts as his sea-green eyes looked at her. She could see the guilt in them.

"It's not your fault what happened to Annabeth. Don't blame yourself," Stella said as she placed her hand on his back.

He sighed, "Thalia's right, it was my fault."

She shook her head, "No, listen to me. Thalia is angry and she wants someone to blame. It wasn't anyone's fault, especially not your fault."

Percy looked away and Stella knew she had to distract him, or he would continue blaming himself. 

She instinctively dropped her hand from his back when she saw one of the Hunters approaching them, dropping their backpacks off. 

"How's your shoulder?" Stella asked him.

"A lot better, thanks. I can still feel a small sting, though," He said.

Stella scooted closer to him until their thighs were touching. "Let me see," She told him.

Percy shrugged off his jacket and rolled back his t-shirt sleeve so Stella could see his wounded shoulder. The wound had partially healed, having closed and relieved most of the pain, but it had a nasty green hue. 

He shivered from the cold, and Stella placed her hand on his shoulder. Percy felt his body immediately warm and he felt most thankful for his friendship with the daughter of Apollo.

Stella saw him wince when she touched his wound, but she closed her eyes and focused all her healing energy toward him. She felt the pain slowly leave his body as she took it on. The pain made her squeeze her eyes shut, but eventually, it passed.

She opened her eyes to see Percy much closer than he was before. He was looking at her in such a way that made Stella question everything. 

Percy could see the freckles littered on her tan skin. The pain had completely evaporated from his body, not a drop left behind. He was in absolute awe.

The two half-bloods stared at each other, both frozen.

Percy cleared his throat. "Thank you," He whispered.

Stella nodded, her amber eyes piercing into his.

"Hey, guys!" A voice, Nico, called from behind, and they jumped back from each other. 

They turned to see Grover and Nico walking up to them. Percy rolled down his sleeve and pulled his jacket back on.

Stella was absolutely rattled. Whatever tension there was between the moment they just shared had thankfully faded as soon as Grover and Nico joined them. But where did that come from? 

"Hey, Percy, want me to check out your wound?" Grover asked him.

Percy glanced at Stella, who sat a bit further than she had seconds ago, "Stella healed me."

"Oh, alright."

Stella fished around her bag for an ambrosia pack and tossed it to Percy, "Chew up, just in case."