-019 [INTERLUDE II.]

THE APARTMENT WAS SILENT, save for the distant sounds of holiday cheer echoing through the city streets below. Stella sat on her couch after having finished her Sunday morning breakfast. She had been mindlessly flipping through a magazine, her thoughts distracting her from really reading the pages.

It was weird to think that Christmas was only two days away. If someone had stepped into her apartment, it would have been impossible to tell because it was void of any holiday decorations. She didn't see the point in setting up a tree and putting decorations around the apartment if nobody else was going to see them but her. 

Stella was planning to sleep the days away, hoping Christmas would pass by unnoticed.

Her mother still hadn't contacted her, not that she expected her to.

Ramona Cruz had run off with Seth, some millionaire she had met over the summer while Stella was at camp. When she came back home, she was received with the news of her mother's new relationship, and then she knew it wouldn't be long before Ramona disappeared for a few months.

Her prediction was right, as it was every time. She had come home from school one rainy October afternoon to find her mother frantically looking for her passport, suitcases packed and waiting at the entrance.

Stella retrieved the passport from the kitchen drawer where her mother habitually stored it after each escapade with her latest boyfriend. Only when she handed it to her did Ramona greet her and inform her that she was going on vacation with Seth. 

When Stella inquired about her return, Ramona only offered a nonchalant shrug before darting towards the entrance. Grabbing her bags, she informed Stella that the limo awaited her downstairs.

She was gone in a flash, leaving Stella to fend for herself. But it was nothing new for her, just another few weeks or months where the only person she could rely on was herself.

The days melted into one another after that, trapped in the ceaseless loop of school and weekends. She would try to make her days bearable through long phone calls with Lee and even sometimes just phoning the Stoll brothers to see what they were up to at camp.

As if Travis and Connor could sense her loneliness over the phone, they left camp the following weekend and showed up at her doorstep. They used the excuse that they just wanted to explore Manhattan, but Stella was glad they came and let them crash on her couch. They dropped by another time after that, claiming they hadn't seen enough of New York. 

Meanwhile, Lee planned to spend all of his Thanksgiving break with her. They filled the week having fun all over Manhattan, successfully diverting Stella's attention from her mother's absence. Apollo had joined them on Thanksgiving day, contributing to the cooking before they all sat down together to enjoy the meal. It turned out to be a perfect day for Stella.

But then they both eventually left, and it was back to solitude.

Her most recent mission-turned-quest had briefly rescued her from the isolation, placing her amidst friends. Even though the last few days had taken a profound emotional toll on her, she still missed being away from her empty apartment.

Stella hadn't heard from Percy since he had dropped her off, but she was sure he was having fun with his mom. Annabeth was likely enjoying her time reunited with her family in San Francisco while Thalia was on whatever new adventure the Hunters were following.

All the while, she sat there alone, the quiet companionship of her apartment echoing the absence of the friends she had grown so accustomed to.

A knock echoed through the room, finally pulling Stella away from her thoughts. She frowned, not expecting any visitors.