-004

AFTER THE FIRST RAYS of dawn kissed the horizon, the quest group met at Zeus's Fist. Stella had packed her knapsack-thermos with nectar, a resealable bag of ambrosia, bedroll, rope, clothes, flashlights, batteries, and as many healing supplies as she could fit.

Iliaktída was secure on her left index finger. Even her new dagger rested safely at her side, tucked away in the sheath attached to the belt that hung low on her hips.

It was a clear morning. The fog had burned off and the sky was blue. Campers would be having their lessons today, flying pegasi, practicing archery, and scaling the lava wall. Meanwhile, they would be heading underground.

Stella and Annabeth stood by the rocks, watching silently as Grover said his goodbyes to Juniper.

She had been crying again, but Stella could tell the nymph was trying to keep it together for Grover's sake. She kept fussing with his clothes, straightening his rasta cap and brushing goat fur off his shirt. Since they had no idea what they would encounter, he was dressed as a human, with the cap to hide his horns, and jeans, fake feet, and sneakers to hide his goat legs.

Chiron, Quintus, and Mrs. O'Leary stood with the other campers who had come to wish them well, but there was too much activity for it to feel like a happy send-off. A couple of tents had been set up by the rocks for guard duty. Beckendorf and his siblings were working on a line of defensive spikes and trenches. Chiron had decided they needed to guard the Labyrinth exit at all times, just in case.

Annabeth was doing one last check on her supply pack when Stella let out a gasp, causing the blonde's neck to snap toward whatever her friend had been looking at.

Tyson and Percy were walking over. Tyson looked fine meanwhile Percy looked like he had spent a horrible night. He had the darkest circles under his sea-green eyes and faint worry lines etched upon his face. Stella hated to admit he still looked handsome.

She knit her brows in concern when they reached them, "Hey, are you alright?"

Annabeth frowned. "You look terrible."

"He killed the water fountain last night," Tyson confided.

"What?" Stella asked, observing the son of Poseidon for any sign of harm.

Before Percy could explain, Chiron trotted over. "Well, it appears you are ready!" He tried to sound upbeat, but they could tell he was anxious.

Percy said, "Hey, uh, Chiron, can I ask you a favor while I'm gone?"

"Of course, my boy."

"Be right back, guys." Percy nodded toward the woods. Chiron raised an eyebrow, but he followed him out of earshot.

Stella couldn't deny her curiosity but someone calling her name shook her out of her thoughts. Whirling around, she spotted Lee and Travis beckoning her towards them.

"Okay, well, I'll be back too," Stella announced, motioning her head to where the boys waited.

Annabeth and Tyson mumbled okay and Stella took that as her cue. With a grin, she made her way over to them, heart warmed by the sight of them there to see her off. But as she approached, her smile faltered, noticing the thinly veiled worry etched into their expressions.

Lee engulfed her in a hug. "Please take care of yourself, Stella."

Stella wrapped her arms around her brother, squeezing tightly. "You know I always do."

As they pulled apart, Lee's concern lingered in his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, but seriously. We both know how the last quest went."

She opened her mouth to protest what they both knew was the truth but Travis interrupted her. "Just promise us you'll try your best to be safe."