-016

TWELVE ENORMOUS THRONES MADE a 'U' around a central hearth, just like the placement of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations—even the newest one, Zoë the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

Stella's heart clenched at the sight of Zoë's constellation. Her return to consciousness had been a mere respite from the somber reality, Zoë was gone. Her stubborn efforts were futile. Now she had another friend, another void to mourn. 

She didn't even want to think about her attempt to heal Zoë, her body involuntarily shivered at the memory of the pain they shared. Compartmentalization became her refuge, a familiar fortress against the overwhelming grief threatening to engulf her.

Awakening on the back of a pegasus, holding onto Percy's waist, marked her arrival in Olympus. Whatever thoughts she had about Zoë and her powers, she shoved them down. Her focus shifted to the impending audience with the Olympian gods, a realm where raw emotions might not find a fitting place.

All of the seats were occupied. The all-powerful gods and goddesses, each about fifteen feet tall, turned their eyes on them at once.

"Welcome, heroes," Artemis's proclamation echoed through the expansive throne room.

"Mooo!"

There was a sphere of water hovering in the center of the room, next to the hearth fire. Bessie was swimming happily around, swishing his serpent tail and poking his head out the sides and bottom of the sphere. He seemed to be enjoying the novelty of swimming in a magic bubble.

Grover was kneeling at Zeus's throne as if he'd just been giving a report, but when he saw them, he cried, "You made it!"

He started to run toward them, then hesitated, realizing he was turning his back on the king of the gods. Seeking approval, he glanced back at Zeus. 

"Go on," Zeus said. But he wasn't really paying attention to Grover, the Lord of the Sky was staring intently at Thalia.

Grover trotted over, every clop of his hooves echoed on the marble floor, cutting through the silence. Meanwhile, Bessie continued his aquatic ballet, splashing within the magical enclosure. The hearth fire contributed its crackling chorus to the unfolding symphony.

Stella looked nervously at her father. Apollo's concerned gaze bore into her. She knew that he knew what had happened on Crissy Field. She wondered what judgments lingered in his thoughts, her recent decisions laid bare before the god of prophecy. Was she a disappointment? She didn't heed his warning, and look how that ended up.

Grover enveloped each of them in warm embraces, the tightness of his hugs a testament to the relief he felt. Finally reaching Percy, Grover grasped his arms. "Percy, Bessie and I made it! But you have to convince them! They can't do it!"

"Do what?" Percy asked, his confusion mirrored by his companions.

"Heroes," Artemis called.

The goddess slid down from her throne and turned to human size, a young auburn-haired girl, perfectly at ease in the midst of the giant Olympians. She walked toward the demigods, her silver robes shimmering. There was no emotion in her face. She seemed to walk in a column of moonlight.

"The Council has been informed of your deeds," Artemis told them. "They know that Mount Othrys is rising in the West. They know of Atlas's attempt for freedom, and the gathering armies of Kronos. We have voted to act."

The gods exchanged glances and muttered among themselves. It was evident that not all were in unanimous agreement, but nobody protested.

"At my Lord Zeus's command," Artemis continued, "my brother Apollo and I shall hunt the most powerful monsters, seeking to strike them down before they can join the Titans' cause. Lady Athena shall personally check on the other Titans to make sure they do not escape their various prisons. Lord Poseidon has been given permission to unleash his full fury on the cruise ship Princess Andromeda and send it to the bottom of the sea. And as for you, my heroes..."