-018 [INTERLUDE I.]

THE SNOW-CLAD LANDSCAPE OF Half-Blood Hill sparkled in the winter sunlight as December embraced Camp Half-Blood in its icy grip. The air was crisp, and the scent of pine lingered as the demigods prepared for the holidays.

Percy Jackson and Stella Cruz stood side by side on the porch of the Big House, awaiting Sally Jackson's arrival to take them back to Manhattan. Percy had managed to at least persuade Stella to accept a ride back to the city.

In the wake of Grover's revelation about Pan, Chiron had ushered the anxious satyr into the warmth of the Big House, where a crackling fire offered respite from the chill. There, the centaur had engaged in conversation with Grover and Mr. D, hoping to ease the satyr's troubled mind and discover more from his revelation.

As Chiron stepped back out onto the porch, his hooves clicked softly against the wooden surface. Percy and Stella shifted their attention toward the approaching centaur.

"Is Grover going to be okay?" Percy said worriedly.

Chiron sighed, "Ah... he will be. But for now, I believe I need to have a word with Stella before your departure."

Stella nodded in understanding, her eyes flickering briefly toward Percy before following Chiron to a quieter spot on the hill. The cold wind rustled through her dark hair as she walked alongside him.

They reached a spot overlooking the camp, where the panoramic view of cabins and training grounds spread before them. Chiron paused, and the expanse of nature seemed to lend an air of solemnity to their conversation.

"I know what happened on the quest, the gods informed me," He began, his voice a comforting presence in the stillness.

Stella looked out at the landscape, her eyes tracing the outlines of the familiar structures below. Recent events were still fresh in her mind, and she found herself hesitating to confront both the memories and the tumultuous swirl of emotions within her.

Chiron's next words, delivered with a kind understanding, drew her back to the present. "The blessing of Apollo—you have rare gifts among demigods. Your newfound abilities are impressive, but they require guidance. Training, to help you understand and control them."

She looked down at her hands, where the memory of her healing powers overwhelming her still lingered. She never wanted to feel that powerless again, and if training was the path to control, she was ready to do whatever it took.

Stella met the centaur's gaze with determination, "What kind of training?"

"Proper training," Chiron replied. "Under my guidance, you would learn how to manage your powers, fortify your mind and emotions, and undergo physical training all the while."

She felt a sense of solace wash over her, knowing that there was hope for her to gain control, not to be a safety risk or endanger those she loved and cared about.

"If you accept, I suggest we begin after the holidays. This way, you can sort out your living situation and your schooling. Then, you can come to camp and train during the spring before the upcoming summer," Chiron explained.

Stella couldn't contain the blossoming smile on her face. "I'm in, I accept."

A cold gust of wind swept through the snowy clearing, making her shiver. Chiron regarded her with a knowing gaze. "I sense that you had plans to spend the holidays alone, am I correct?"

Stella nodded, her shoulders hunching against the chill. "I thought it would be best."

Chiron, with a gentle yet firm demeanor, placed a hand on her shoulder. "You're not alone, my dear. You're part of a unique family here at camp. Percy and his mother would welcome your company during the holidays. It might do you good to spend this time with them, especially given the challenges that await."