-020 [INTERLUDE III.]

THE SOFT GLOW OF MORNING light filtered through the curtains, gently waking Stella from her restless slumber.

Yawning and stretching, she sat up, realizing she had fallen asleep on Percy's bed and that he was no longer beside her. She glanced towards the inflatable mattress, also empty, yet the bed looked worn in, the sheets tossed to the side. 

As she stepped into the hallway, the scent of something delicious wafted through the air, and the sound of sizzling echoed through the apartment. Following the aroma, she found herself in the kitchen, where Sally and Percy hovered by the stove.

Bowls of batter and an array of colorful toppings adorned the countertop. 

"Morning, sleepyhead," Percy grinned, spotting her.

Sally turned from the stove with a warm smile. "Good morning, Stella. Did you sleep well?"

Stella nodded, the remnants of the nightmare dissipating with the presence of familiar faces. "Yeah, thanks. What's that amazing smell?"

Percy pointed to the kitchen counter, where a stack of blue pancakes awaited their turn to be devoured. "We're making blue pancakes."

"How could I forget you and your love for blue-colored food," Stella joked.

Sally laughed, "He insists that blue pancakes taste better. Something about the magic of blue food."

Stella smiled. "Well, I'm curious. Blue pancakes it is."

"You're in for a treat," Percy declared, grabbing a plate and expertly sliding a couple of the pancakes onto it. He motioned for Stella to take a seat at the kitchen table.

As she settled into the chair, he placed the plate in front of her, a playful glint in his eyes. "Enjoy the holiday special. And, uh, feel free to drown them in syrup, I know I will."

Stella laughed, picking up her fork. "I'll keep that in mind."

Percy sat across from her, pouring himself a cup of coffee before helping himself to a couple of pancakes while Sally finished making what was left of the batter. 

She took a bite, savoring the surprisingly delicious blend of flavors. "Wow, these are actually really good."

He smirked, "That's because I made them. Plus, they're blue, so that's like ten bonus points."

Percy couldn't resist joining her in her laughter, both of them finding what he had said incredibly stupid yet funny. Maybe it was the fact that they still felt tired that led them to their spontaneous burst of laughter.

In between bites of the deliciously fluffy blue pancakes, Percy caught Stella's gaze. His sea-green eyes held a gentle concern.

Percy leaned closer to her, asking quietly, "Everything okay?"

Stella nodded. "Yeah, all good. Thanks for being there last night."

"Anytime, Stella. Seriously. If you ever need to talk or anything, I'm here."

She felt a surge of gratitude for the genuine concern in his eyes. "I appreciate that, Percy."

As they continued to enjoy breakfast, Sally joined in the conversation, sharing stories about past holiday traditions and the antics Percy had pulled during Christmas mornings. After, they helped Sally clear the table, leaving the kitchen tidy and clean. 

Wiping her hands on a kitchen towel, Sally looked at the two of them. "So, any plans for today?"

Percy exchanged a quick glance with Stella, and they both shrugged.