13

Karlie's POV

I wake up the next morning curled up in Taylor's embrace. "Breakfast is ready guys," my mom says, pretending she didn't just walk in on us cuddling. I crawl out of bed, pulling Taylor up with me as we head downstairs. Everyone seems to have already eaten and is getting ready for their days. I sit down at the dining table, pulling out a chair for Taylor and motioning her to sit down.

We eat in silence for a few minutes before Taylor speaks up.

"I think I'm ready to go back to school today" she says, her nerves coming through.

"Ok, I'll be with you the whole day if you need anything," I reply, hoping to ease her anxieties. We walk upstairs to get ready and pack our bags for the day. Taylors hands shake a bit as she buttons up her jeans and I make note to keep a close eye on her. I noticed she didn't eat much breakfast and I want to make sure she's ok.

I open the passenger door for her before hopping in the driver's seat of my jeep. I reach over the console to squeeze her hand three times, hoping she gets the message. We drive in comfortable silence, neither of us having much to say. As we pull up to school, Taylor keeps her head down and trails behind me. I grab her hand, guiding her to our first class. I know not to ask what is going through her mind and just to be there and not let go. We enter the English classroom with a minute to spare before the first bell rings.

Taylor's POV

I smile at Mrs. B as I walk into class. She smiles back with an understanding nod and I know she'll want to talk after class. She's been there for me at my very worst and even taken care of me when my dad has been too drunk to. I feel bad leaning on her for support so much but she always assures me that I'm not a burden to her and she enjoys my company.

I sit down next to Karlie and pull out my copy of Alice in Wonderland. I forget about my anxieties for once and get lost in the analysis of the literature. Before I know it, the bell rings signaling time for our morning break. I stay back to talk to Mrs. B and let Karlie know that I'll meet her on the quad in a bit.

Mrs. B motions for me to sit down in the comfy chair as she takes a seat in her teacher chair across from me. She's pretty young compared to my other teachers and always full of energy. She's by far been one of the most empathetic teachers to me and always gone the extra mile to make sure I am ok.

"How are you doing honey?" she asks, her eyes filled with concern.

"I'm doing better. Stuff got bad at home but Karlie's family has been welcoming and cared for me a lot" I reply, knowing she is going to ask questions.

"That's good. Karlie is a sweetheart so I'm glad you have her. Seriously though, I'm always here if you need anything and my office is always open if you need a quiet space to work or just to get away from stuff." She responds.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it!" I say as I get up to meet Karlie outside.

She's sitting on a bench with a few of her friends that I don't know super well but they seemed nice enough. She waves me over and offers me a sunshine smile. I say hi to both of her friends just before the bell rings for our next class. Ugh, long block math.