The accident

Saria is mute and communicates with sign language. Since I'm learning ASL (American sign language) I will just be turning that to BSL (Basic sign language) for story purposes. That way, I can look up some signs as I go for background knowledge.

Don't worry, you don't need to know ASL for the story, signing will be written like this in quotation marks.

You'll know it when you see it.

Saria kept her head down as she journeyed down the busy streets. She didn't want to get hit by a speeder or something as ridicules as that.

She sidestepped to avoid a group of giggling children and smiled fondly as they passed by. They ran between their mother's legs as they played, earning exasperated looks from their mothers.

Saira continued walking and made it to the market where she picked up a some Blue milk to serve with the Ahrisa she was serving. She bitterly smiled as she imagined how much her mother, Rue, would've enjoyed that night's dinner.

She saw an attack shuttle fly overhead and land in a nearby space port. Saria ignored everyone's whispers about it and continued with her shopping.

She walked up to the register and held up the items she wanted. The Zabrak behind the till rung up the purchase for her.

"That'll be thirty credits," He said.

Saria nodded and put the credits in his waiting hand.

"This is only twenty-nine," He stared at her like she was stupid.

Saria winced and rummaged through her pouch to see if she had anything else. She came up empty and showed him the empty bag.

"I can't just let you take it. You need to pay," The Zabrak impatiently sighed.

"I'm only one short. I could give you extra next time?" Saria hesitantly offered.

"What?" He wrinkled his nose and stared at her hands.

Saria huffed through her nose and pulled out her datapad and typed it out. She didn't expect everyone to know BSL, but he didn't have to be so rude about it.

"How do I know you'll come back?" He scowled.

Saria didn't let her disappointment show and turned back into the market. She put the Blue milk back and left to go back home.

So much for Eric getting Blue milk like he wanted.

Saria let herself sulk as she walked home. It was only one credit! Who really cared anyway?

Saria looked up as she was about to cross a busy intersection and waited for the speeders to stop before crossing.

She noticed an armored man with his face buried in his datapad next to her.

He must've been too distracted by whatever he was reading to pay attention to the speeders, since he walked out, not noticing a stray speeder coming his way.

Saria's eyes widened and she acted fast, pushing him out of the way and throwing her body into his.

The speeder slammed into her side, sending her crashing into a nearby wall. Everyone close to them watched in horror at the incident and looked on in disbelief as the speeder flew off.

The man's goggles went flying and his datapad was knocked to the ground. He looked up in alarm from the sandy Tatooine floor.

Saria groaned in pain and clutched at her side. Why did she think that was a good idea?