Chapter XVIII. Bad at communication.

April sat comfortably in the cozy office of her therapist, Dr. Wilson. The warm ambiance and the soothing scent of lavender in the air helped create a safe space for April to open up and explore her emotions. She took a deep breath, ready to delve into the depths of her thoughts and feelings.

Dr. Wilson, a compassionate and attentive therapist, leaned forward, offering a gentle smile. "So, April, how have you been since our last session? Any significant developments or changes?"

April paused for a moment, gathering her thoughts. "Well, Dr. Wilson, I've been on quite a journey of self-discovery. I've learned so much about myself and the importance of setting boundaries. It hasn't been easy, but I feel like I'm making progress."

Dr. Wilson nodded, encouraging April to continue. "That's wonderful to hear, April. Growth often requires us to confront our own vulnerabilities and make conscious choices for our well-being. Can you tell me more about the progress you feel you've made?"

April took a deep breath and began to share her experiences. "I've been learning to let go of toxic relationships and toxic patterns. I've realized that I deserve better than being treated with disrespect or taken for granted. It's been a process of reclaiming my power and valuing myself."

Dr. Wilson nodded empathetically. "Self-worth and self-respect are essential aspects of personal growth, April. It's admirable that you're prioritizing your emotional well-being. Can you share any specific moments or strategies that have helped you along this journey?"

April reflected for a moment before responding. "One thing that has made a significant difference is setting healthy boundaries. I've learned to communicate my needs clearly and to surround myself with people who respect and support me. It's been empowering to remove myself from toxic environments and focus on nurturing relationships."

April sighed and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Honestly, Dr. Wilson, I've been struggling a bit. There's been some hurtful behavior from my ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend, Heidi. She's been making shady remarks about me on social media, and it's been hard to ignore."

Dr. Wilson nodded empathetically, acknowledging the pain April was experiencing. "I can understand how hurtful and frustrating that can be, April. It's natural to feel a range of emotions when someone tries to undermine your worth. How have you been coping with these remarks?"

April's eyes welled up with tears as she shared her struggle. "I've tried my best to focus on my own healing and growth. I know deep down that Heidi's words are a reflection of her own insecurities, but it still stings. It's challenging not to let it affect my self-esteem."

Dr. Wilson nodded and offered reassurance. "Remember, April, the opinions of others do not define your worth. It's essential to practice self-compassion and remind yourself of your own strengths and achievements. What strategies have you been using to cope with these hurtful remarks?"

April took a deep breath and composed herself. "I've been trying to distance myself from social media as much as possible. Instead, I've been focusing on self-care activities that bring me joy, like painting, journaling, and spending time with supportive friends and family. I've also been practicing positive affirmations to counteract the negative thoughts triggered by Heidi's comments."

Dr. Wilson smiled, acknowledging April's resilience. "It's wonderful to see how you're actively taking steps to protect your emotional well-being. Remember, healing takes time, and it's normal to have moments of vulnerability. Allow yourself to feel those emotions and seek support when needed."

April nodded, a sense of pride evident in her eyes. "Yes, exactly. It hasn't been easy, but it's been liberating. I've also been prioritizing self-care and practicing mindfulness techniques to manage stress and stay grounded and calling my best friend."