24. Precision and Development

AN: Been a while! I should probably revamp this story's cover soon. Until then though, enjoy the next few chapters of my hunger-fueled inspiration! This chapter is dedicated to the pickles in my fridge, aka my mom's first genuine victory in the battle between me and raw vegetables.

This chapter will be completely set in Sumiredoori, but the next chapter will be going back to Tootsuki. 

-

-

-

"Heeey there!!" The door of the diner burst open at midday, "how's my favourite brother doing?"

"Perish," was Eda's instant response, and in the middle of lunch service a spoon goes flying through the air. "I died ten damn times in the first week. You set me up to get set aflame. Jou-san, go die in a ditch."

To Jouichirou's credit, he dodged the spoon and let it hit the door, cackling out a hearty laugh.

"I see you got run over the grill, eh? Tootsuki never changes, does it!"

"What the— DO NOT THROW CUTLERY AT CUSTOMERS, YA DUNCE!" to be frank, Jouichirou did not expect the rag to swoop right through the air and engulf the boy's head, "you could fucking kill someone!"

"That," Eda ripped the cloth off his head and baseball-chucked it right back at the boy with pink hair who was working the wok, "IS THE INTENTION, SHITTYMIYA!"

"Piece of shit!"

"Fry the damn rice!"

"Stop fucking SCREAMING!"

The oven ran out loudly and both of them clicked their tongues, swerving back to their work stations without further fanfare. Jouichirou had to hold back from fervent laughter at the very familiar sight. He used to quarrel with Gin like this, too, all the time, and it was always only when they were cooking that they were quiet.

"Nee-chan! These are ready!"

"Alright!"

Tamako swooped right in, doing what she does best— waiting tables. She giggles with the customers as they all marvel at the new life in their favourite chef. The boy who was once a softspoken, unconfident child had now learned how to surge forward, even if he had to get loud to take each step.

Going to school was good for Eda Kiyofumi. They really couldn't deny that.

"Jouichirou, come sit here," Uncle Yukihira called from the counter. "You really took your time on that work trip, didn't you? You almost missed Fumi-pon's return."

"Oh, that would've definitely been a tragedy!" Jouichirou agreed, "Imagine missing out on this marvel! Fumi brought home a hell of a friend."

At that, Shinomiya left the wok— Eda took over quickly— to focus on the guy. "Wait, are you the rumoured Saiba Jouichirou-senpai that the seniors in the dorm were making a big fuss of?"

Jouichirou cackled. "Yep! I go by Yukihira now, though. You in Polar Star too? Young! Reminds me of Jun!"

"You're talking about Shiomi-senpai, right?"

"Yep! Is she still a midget?"

"Yes!" he's beaming brightly. "I'm Shinomiya Kojirou. It's an honour to meet you, sir!"

"Pinkymiya! Take his damn order or get back here!" Eda raised his voice.

"Just fry it for two more damn seconds and get it off the heat!" Shinomiya yelled back. "How long's the potatoes been boiling?"