15. Effort and Failing Expectations

"So I had an unofficial Shokugeki with a classmate yesterday and I won, so he gave me a lot of money."

"Dude what the fuck."

"I got money."

"You extorted money from a classmate?"

"I won it."

"You beat the shit out of him and stole all his cash-- this ain't Pokemon you flower-haired Dairy Queen!"

And that's the scene Sekimori walked into at three in the afternoon. Eda was sparkling, amazed at the small stack of bills in his hands, and Shinomiya was, as usual, shouting his head off.

He can get the general idea from listening to their yelling. But seriously, do they not have a mode other than yelling, screaming, and bickering?

"This is the first time I've seen a literal stack of bills..."

"Who cares! Go and apologize and return it you cretin!"

"But I need tools! And ingredients! And--"

"Earn your own keep!"

Sekimori sighed, and slammed two cups of tea on the table. Maybe if they drank some freaking leaves they'd be quiet for one day...

The two juniors sat down immediately when Sekimori glared at them.

-

"It's understandable," Sekimori acknowledged, "your food forte is rare even in Tootsuki, so it makes sense that you can't really practice without your equipment and the proper workshops. The school isn't equipped for high-class sweets making, either, so..."

"He'll have to get it through Shokugeki?" Shinomiya asked.

"Well, that's the general code of things in this school," Sekimori said, "you can join research societies, or you can buy your own. Or you can nab it from the less skillful through Shokugeki."

Eda hid under the desk, listening to the conversation.

He was forced to return the money, (the classmate said it was okay and offered a few new cooking utensils in return, because he had money to spare anyways and it was a fair match regardless,) so now he sulked.

"There's no rush, Eda-kun," Sekimori assured him, "you're still a first year in Junior High. By the time you get to high school, you'll have won a whole, fully equipped kitchen to yourself, and you'll be able to practice anything, whenever. You Just need to be patient."

And Eda held him onto that statement.

-

"Eda Kiyofumi and Shinomiya Kojirou, you get an A!"

It's been almost a month since classes first began, and the two have built up quite the reputation.

Shinomiya, who's gotten the most consecutive As in the entirety of the grade. Amongst the others of his year, he's a guaranteed head above them all.

And then there's Eda.

It's a little hard to describe him. Some people call him a rough and stubborn delinquent that probably belongs in a gang; others say he has the hands of an angel, impossibly gentle and impeccably elegant.